1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Isle Royal in Michigan

Discussion in 'United States' started by M.Hicks, Aug 24, 2014.

1. M.Hicks

M.Hicks Newbie

Did you know that Michigan has an Island in lake superior? Isle Royal is located in about the middle of lake superior, and is one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. It is 40 miles long and has 2 small ports at either end. There are no vehicles of any kind allowed there. It has been many years since I have been there, but when my father took me for the first time it took my breath away. We hiked from one end to the other in a week and came across so many beautiful sights and historic parts also. We seen open mines where they used to mine copper. I came face to face with a moose, and the fox there would come right up to us when we were eating. Like I said before there are no vehicles allowed not even bikes so everything you bring is carried by you, so I suggest only bringing what is essential. There is no cell phone service or Wi-Fi. It is nature at its purest. I highly suggest going there someday if you are an avid hiker and love to get away from todays hustle and bustle. I personally can't wait till I have the chance to return with my family and share the experience with my sons.

campforums likes this.
  2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Thanks for sharing, I really love reading about peoples camping experiences. That is a lot of wild animals that you saw, usually I will only see 1-2 animals if I am lucky and not a moose or a fox. The fact that it is so well isolated since it is an island and protected from people is probably part of the reason that the animals were so unencumbered. Did you get over by canoe from the shore line?

Draft saved Draft deleted