1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

JetBoil Joule Backpacker Stove

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by ExplorePathfinder, May 3, 2015.

1. Hi All,

TheStove.jpg
    The Chief Scout got me one of these for my birthday. It's certainly not super light. It's more for backpacking groups of maybe three to six and includes a 2.5 liter pot. The whole thing, with gas can, fits in the pot and the cover locks down on it.

It uses compressed Isobutane/Propane gas. That would seem to preclude it from winter camping, but the design has the can sitting upside down right under the heat, as you can see in the photo. It also has the gas line running around the heating element. Reviewers say that allows the stove to function very well in winter temperatures although perhaps not in as cold temperatures as a white gas stove could handle.

I plan to make a demo video and write a review on this stove. Have any of you had experience with it? What do you think? What questions do you have about it?

Thanks!
    -Jerry-

campforums likes this.
  2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

It looks pretty nice, I would sure be happy with getting one as a birthday gift. You say that the whole thing fits within the pot? That would make it pretty compact.

When you end up doing your review I'd love to see you check how long it takes to heat up, say something simple like boiling some water and also how long you can get out of a tank of gas.

3. Yes, it's pretty compact, but of course a 2.5 liter pot is a lot bigger than a 1 liter pot that the smaller Jet Boils fit into. The claim is that at zero F it boils a liter in 3.5 minutes and at 80F it takes 2 minutes. There are a lot of other variables, like wind speed, elevation etc, but those that have checked it out seem to get numbers in that ballpark. Given the quick boiling time, the fuel should last awhile too.

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

True, well that is to be expected. Have you used both the 2.5 L and the 3.5 L versions?

Lol, I also noticed that you are mixing your metric and imperial measurements. :p

5. Didn't know there was a 3.5 L version and I haven't even gotten around to firing up the one I have to see if it behaves nicely. Here's what JetBoil does with measurements: "1 liter/4 cups will boil in 2:40 (2m40s). 230g of fuel is good for 60min or 24 liters and the pot is 2.5L (55oz). It's a 10000BTU heater."

Their boil time vs temp chart uses both C&F with the 1 liter boil time. And, it's supposed to provide consistent heat down to 10F/-12C. To top it off, the instructions are in English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Dutch, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, Swedish, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Russian, Polish and Czech. They are much more international than I am, but perhaps not as mixed up.

6. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

That is a nice present, looks to be a quality stove. Looking forward to the review.

Is the inside liner stainless steel or aluminum?

campforums likes this.
  7. It is made of hard anodized aluminum.

Draft saved Draft deleted