1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Just signed my daughter up for church camp!

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by TABL, Jan 8, 2013.

1. TABL

TABL Explorer

My children have been going to the same church-sponsored camp for a few years now.
    My daughter absolutely loves it! They do art projects, kayaking, hikes, swimming, etc. She's been begging me to sign her up. I did today. Already the week she wants is half full!
    I'm so lucky that our church helps us pay for it. But I put the deposit down today.

Now, to get the boys signed up....

2. ACSAPA

ACSAPA Newbie

That's awesome. I lived in a Christian group home ,which I guess is what they call orphanages nowadays, and even though I didn't like the actual experience of going to church 3 times a week and found the group home too strict and controlling, I loved the camping trips. Church people are great at camping trips and retreats. Those annual camping trips were something we looked forward to all year.

3. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

The church helps you pay for it? That's really awesome. Do they help everyone or was there a special scholarship application that you had to go through?

I'm not a big fan of religion in general, but from the perspective of a camp experience, I think it's great for your kids to get to try out!

4. TABL

TABL Explorer

They give a scholarship to all of the kids who want to go. My kids help out all year, with bake sales and spaghetti dinners, etc. to help off-set it. It's awesome!

It's a church camp, but apparently the church-y is minimal. They're not forced to do anything, other than prayer. They do talk about Christian things, but... she likes it more for the fun of it.

5. Jessi

Jessi Novice Camper

That's really awesome! I like that they are able to sort of "help pay for it" by helping with fundraisers.

I hope she has fun. Do your boys enjoy it, too?

6. TABL

TABL Explorer

My boys do enjoy it! They didn't go last year because they both went to boy scout camp and well, it gets expensive!

This morning I went to church, and there was the pastor from the camp! He was our guest pastor today! I just love him!

7. Libragirl67

Libragirl67 Newbie

I have a few issues with religion in general. But I must say there really are some wonderful organizations and churches that really do benefit kids. And teach them awesome skills. When a church organization can do something like take a group of kids camping it can be an awesome experience for them. It teaches them so many different aspects of nature and survival. And it is also great for them to be in a healthy enviornment with their peers. Especially kids, like mine who did not have a male figure to look up to and learn from in their lives.

8. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

reply: I think that it is a great experience for all children to be in a summer camp program. It gets them to learn and have new interactive experiences with others. I reading your posting that the church helps pay for it is a really great deal.

Draft saved Draft deleted