1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Kayak options

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by pharrmgirl, Feb 20, 2018.

1. pharrmgirl

pharrmgirl Newbie

I'm trying to decide between a sit on or sit in kayak. I usually float on rivers and take a cooler. I'd like to do some fishing this spring and summer. Any opinions?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I would go for a sit on top. My nephew fished out of a sit in kayak and here's the problems he has. There is very limited room for anything large like a cooler. If you have a fishing pole, you have to shove it in the cockpit hole with yourself and watch out for the hooks. Most times your going to get your feet wet getting in or out of one. His water bottle rolled down around his feet a couple of times while fishing, so he had to get out to get it. A sit on top I think would be easier to get on and off. Have room to strap a cooler. Can even mount rod holders. Oh and cooler weather, a sit in kayak may be like sitting in a refrigerator when the water is cold. Kayaks are very stable and are great on the water, so I'm not going to trash them. I do like canoes better because you don't have to worry about your stuff falling into the water, and you can pack lots of stuff in them. Besides they just look, cooler.

3. pharrmgirl

pharrmgirl Newbie

Thanks for the input. I had a sit in and liked it, but I had an accident and now wondering about getting a sit on top. Your comment really helps. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

When you say sit on, my understanding is that you get elevated on the kayak as compared to the sit in position. I am not an authority on kayak but logic tells me that sitting on will make the kayak more shaky than when you sit in because when you sit in it is like being inside the kayak so your control is greater than when you are just riding on the kayak.

5. rz3300

rz3300 Explorer

Seems like the more sturdy options would probably be what you would want to go for, but then again it kind of depends on the comfort level. I know myself I would go with the sit in.

6. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I got in a sit in kayak at a sporting goods store. I like to have never got out that thing.

7. EricBTTA

EricBTTA Novice Camper

If you are fishing I’d suggest a sit on top fishing kayak like the Old Town Predator as it is more versatile for fishing, is is way more stable and can be easily outfitted for a large variety of fishing setups. There are also boats like the Nucanoe Frontier which is a great canoe / kayak hybrid designed for hunting and fishing.

If you are going to be portaging from lake to lake tho you may want a sit in option as they are generally easier to carry solo, but otherwise it sounds like a fishing oriented sit on top kayak would suits your needs best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Draft saved Draft deleted