1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Kayaking

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by hissae2, Mar 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hissae2

hissae2 Newbie

When I went camping a few years ago I went kayaking. I've only ever been able to do it when I went with my school but it was an awesome experience. It was probably the most memorable thing I did on my trip. Hopefully some day I will be able to go kayaking again maybe with my family or friends.

Has anyone else been kayaking? Is it something you enjoy?

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I've been both kayaking and canoeing. In my opinion kayaking is a lot easier and a lot more fun, the reason canoes are still used though is because they can hold a lot more in them. So if you are portaging you need to be able to carry all your camping equipment with you. On the other hand, if you are just having fun paddling around the lake/river then kayaking easier to learn and you can move through the water a lot faster. I've seen many beginners struggling to move around in a canoe because they don't know which side to paddle on or how to do a proper J-stroke, with kayak usually all that can happen is get a little wet from splashing.

3. writefish

writefish Newbie

Kayaking is a great sport. I own several, sit in, sit on, ocean kayaks and single and double. I even have an inflatable one I keep on my boat for exploring little inlets. It can be fun and relaxing or it can be quite a workout, it is really your choice. My boys like to fish off them. I always suggest to people to rent a few first to see what style suits you before you put out the cash as they can be expensive. Have fun1

4. AurelioLeo

AurelioLeo Newbie

I have spent time in Hawaii and a lot of people Kayak out there on the ocean. I have tried it out myself and I got to admit it was one hell of a workout. I really enjoyed doing it, but I would recommend you do it with a partner just in case you run into problems out there.

5. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I have always wondered about using a kayak. I heard that they roll over easy and that it is easy to end up upside down in the water. That part worries me a bit because I don't want to get trapped under water and drown. Is it easy to escape when the boat rolls or will it roll back up with very little effort?

Also I know what it is like to be out on a river in a canoe and have a motor boat speed by and send waves bigger than you are rolling toward you. Either the boat rides up over the wave or if it hits the canoe just right it can flip you end over end. Does a kayak handle those types of waves better than a canoe?

Hope someone can give me an answer to these questions.

6. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

@2sweed
    If it makes you feel better kayaks are used for white water rafting. So waves and flipping over aren't really a problem. Seriously, though you aren't likely to drown in a kayak unless you lack the amazing ability to ease yourself out of one, and the boats are built to deal with these sorts of situations. They're very well-balanced.

7. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I've thought about that too but the first time I flipped over in a kayak I found out that you basically just fall out when it flips upside down, even with your legs enclosed.

As for getting it right side up again, that is the tricky part. :(

8. ctechguy

ctechguy Newbie

I really enjoy kayaking! They are light, maneuverable, and for the most part stable.

It has been a much easier time for me using one on a big lake or pond, versus a canoe and paddle. Once you get the hang of using the kayak paddle, you can make better time if distance is a factor than with a canoe, especially in high winds.

One of the big attractions of the kayak for me is the access it provides to streams and areas where my canoe just wouldn't be able to go. I have taken a kayak up some narrow streams in the woods, and been in very shallow water. In one instance I was able to go up over a small abandoned beaver dam with relative ease, and also was able to push it along a shallow sandy bottom until I reached deeper water again.

While I love canoeing, with the storage and capacity they offer, with the kayak I am able to reach remote, difficult areas to access for fly fishing and just general exploring.

9. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

As a beginner what size of a kayak would be best to use and any brand you like using the best?

10. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Depends 2sweed on what your intentions are. If you want to go out to sea, if you want to go on a calm river, or if you want to go over rapids. It also depends on your personal dimensions and if you're going it alone or not.

11. tess pfeif

tess pfeif Newbie

I have a love/hate relationship with kayaking. I love kayaking either with a destination in mind or in interesting landscape (one that is beautiful or one that requires paying attention and navigating my surroundings). That being said kayaking on a very flat, boring bay was a required activity once a week when I was a camper (and later a counselor). Kayaking aimlessly on a very calm bay is fun for the first twenty minutes but soon loses its appeal. I much prefer to kayak with a purpose-whether that purpose be a destination, beauty, or cunning/challenging navigation.

12. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

Kayaking sounds tight but I would not go on those waters though. I see some people on TV kayaking and something negative comes about like falling out of the boat. If anyone were to kayak just make sure you know how to swim so you would not end up in the water.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.