1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Keeping food cold while camping?

Discussion in 'Food' started by ashley0323, Sep 6, 2016.

1. ashley0323

ashley0323 Novice Camper

We used to have a mini fridge in the camper, but it has since, stopped working. Now, we use a cooler with a bag or two of ice and it works better than the mini fridge did! What do you do to keep food cold?

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Well for long trips, ice is really your only option

Although I have thought of experimenting with some solar panels and a small mini-fridge but I fear it might use too much power.

3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...it's recommended that you use blocks of ice - it lasts a lot longer. Dry ice if you are able. The thicker the insulation of the cooler the better - however - it you check it out those coolers are a lot of money. When I do use a regular cooler I place cardboard on top - it seems to help.

ACTUALLY? Rarely do I bring things that need refrigeration on a canoe trip...I just can't be bothered lugging all that stuff. I have used a barrel in the ground - that's worked for me. I picked up some that were being thrown out. I'm referring to those large olive barrels.

I've frozen Cornish Hens and packed them ice to roast them over an open fire on the first night of camp. That, with a baked potato smothered in good wholesome butter and corn nibblets always made a great starter meal.

If you are at a base camp and you have a family there are not a lot of options. For those of us to travel the rivers there are tonnes.

upload_2016-9-7_19-28-41.jpeg Not cheap. They range from $300.00 to $700.00 US [and even more].

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Why so expensive? I'm assuming it works much better than a cheapo cooler from walmart like I have?

5. Northern Dancer

...it's in the construction. It is designed to be animal proof, and preserve foods a lot longer than the conventional coolers purchased from places like Walmart. In the case of Yeti you can check online and see their promotional video that tells us all what the marvellous differences in owning one has. :muted:

Though I have examined them I do not know anyone who uses them. I wounder why?

I have used dry ice on occasion when we wanted to take 'chops into the wilderness and enjoy the same with ice cream to top off the meal.

6. missyify

missyify Survivalist

We've been looking into a Yeti. Hubs coworkers says they're good. I've also started looking into the minifridge deal, too. Lol it sucks... I remember eating "astronaut ice cream" on trips when I was a kid.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

7. missyify

missyify Survivalist

My best guess is a lot of people probably don't need a super expensive cooler. When my uncle went camping with us, I didn't see him cook a single thing in 3 days. His kids just eat a bunch of McDonald's and candy bars anyway. I cooked enough for all of us but his daughter was looking at it and said, "That's not a chicken nugget... Dad said it was like chicken nuggets."

8. missyify

missyify Survivalist

5de26542c093e9c9ac5ee9be47e220a0.jpg
    This was my daughter before the boys came along with all their allergies, so I'm not judging lol maybe a little jealous since I have to cook every single meal at home... Or while camping as it were.

Northern Dancer likes this.
  9. Northern Dancer

...the people that I canoe camp with have a whole different mind set and treat the experience at a different level. There are no children and there are no women and their presence would have a very definite influence on our attitude. We are not crude or rude but we think differently. Our equipment is excellent and up-to-date, we are not weekend warriors and tend to camp for longer periods of time requiring strategies and know how that might not normally be used. :)

10. missyify

missyify Survivalist

I guess I can see that minus the crudeness. My husband was a sailor after all and our relationship was never supposed to go anywhere lol. I've been around groups of male sailors. Definitely huge differences in how they interact with each other vs women.

I think I understand what you mean. If my husband and I went camping with a group of friends (without kids, which is a stretch of the imagination lol) he would definitely focus most of his attention toward me than socializing with other people. I mean, he's kinda anti social to begin with... But I would imagine it wouldn't be the same as if he went with a group of men or if I went with a group of women. There would certainly be better quality socializing with friends. Imaginary friends lol. I think we were scarred by our last set of friends so we just stick to my very large family.

11. Northern Dancer

...camping is pretty much what you make it. For years I didn't really have any equipment to speak of and then as I became more experienced I saw the need to purchased excellent stuff. When I say excellent I don't necessarily mean expensive. I don't fudge on sleeping bags, stoves, tents and the like - I tend to purchase based on my needs and not my wants or what the manufacture tells me what is best. I don't like the word best either - it's all subjective.

12. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Question: In the old days before we had coolers and electric, folks kept food cold in spring houses, which normally had a stream running through a trough through a small building or shed. Is that a safe practice in modern times? As in camping to put items in cold springs or streams, in winter or summer, if nothing else was available? Properly sealed of course.

13. Northern Dancer

...I've used the stream for keeping foods cool. Usually in one of those mesh bags. It's worked for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted