1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Kentucky

Discussion in 'United States' started by Tristian Fanworth, Jul 31, 2015.

1. Tristian Fanworth

Tristian Fanworth Novice Camper

I read an article online, I cannot find the source now, but it was talking about how the governor of Kentucky wanted to explore the option of privatizing their state parks. I guess the parks that are open to the public is costing the state 83 million dollars to keep open. My question is, why would they want to privatize the parks and take away the potential free entertainment and joy from hundreds of thousands of people each year?

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I guess it would be because of budget problems or whatnot. IMO the problem with privatizing everything is most people do not want every service to be run for the most profit at the expense of other qualities. If they have found that not enough people are using the parks to be worth 83 million, I guess they should probably scale back a bit and reduce their budget but still keep some parks open and free. Or if tons of people are using it, then it should be considered a good service which is benefitting everyone even if it is operating at a loss.

Tristian Fanworth likes this.
  3. Tristian Fanworth

I agree Camp, I thought that was the reason why so many people paid taxes?

4. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Tricky questions - our Provincial Parks have been underfunded for years. In 2013 seven of our parks were closed. It becomes a matter of priority. So...when did nature ever become a priority? Like...anywhere?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTxDZgBG0hW_osIEJKuDrRt6wZpD7SNfEa2J0SoVeoq8yI0D_s7.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQbcSl3MoxoW1Uy1-OpBIu8qnvFTRDzi12BwB8uG7qENgqdFZQW.jpg upload_2015-7-31_16-34-1.jpeg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZTkKqESgGlrd56kLebuqOG1UQRbn8hN_FFzHci2R3FqpQ1-Le.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQSB6EWB4g3Iwjwmwh-HdNrdqACRYTmdmXiNwQgvx9wh6ZNHuFi.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThuUucArY48Ag0QF6jk-Ouw5jKLPgIXdFP41M6QLhX3NoMr5YK7A.jpg

Let's face it, there are better things to spend money on...like war and guns and corruption and...go ahead and name one of your favourite. What was the question again? Save the what?

:bear: Northern Dancer has been known to be a bit cynical now and then...you will just have to forgive him.

campforums likes this.
  5. Tristian Fanworth

Ain't that the truth! What is bad is they have historical parks that are battlefields from the American Revolution they are trying to close as well.

6. Northern Dancer

_________________________________________________________ :(

There just ain't no respect! The good side is that there are people who are conscientious enough to try and make a difference. There are organizations and committees who work hard to preserve history and lands etc. On occasion we all win because of their efforts.

May be it all has to do with our nature - humans seem to love destruction and will do great things to prove it.

7. Northern Dancer

@Tristian Fanworth

Man...you just gotta get into some camping clothes; every time I see that picture of you I think I should be calling you Sir! :)

campforums likes this.
  8. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

You know what they say.... Word hard, play hard!

9. Northern Dancer

Work what...? Oh ya, I do remember that old fashion phrase. :smuggrin:

Draft saved Draft deleted