1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Keomoku Beach, Hawaii

Discussion in 'United States' started by JoshPosh, Nov 1, 2014.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

This beach was once a little fishing town that was built around the 1800s. It has long been abandoned but the old signs of a once thriving community still remain. Yes, my family I use to camp here all the time. Lots of family history in this old fishing village. As you can see in the picture there are a lot of Kiawe trees that is a evasive species to the island. It quickly took over the beach side area, and is used for barbecue.

Here's a pic of an old church that still stand til this day and is minor repairs done once in a great while. The beach was once at the front of the church but 200 years later the strong winds has push sand and silt to the front of the church and now the ocean waters are 200 to 300 yards away. How do I know this, I have seen pictures when the church was first built and the ocean was at its front door step.
    Keomoku2-XL.jpg

An old steam train that was used during the sugar cane era to haul large amounts of sugar cane.
    lopa-beach.jpg

Remnants of an old fishing boat
    hui.png

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

That first picture of the church looks amazing, kudos to the photographer who took it. It has just the right lighting and looks very crisp. I don't know if I would call the repairs its had minor though, I can see by the coloration of the wood that huge sections have had to be replaced recently. Here where I live our invasive species are a lot less beautiful to look at. We have these nasty yellow flowers (called dandelions) and short green shrubs that people don't like because it sprouts up on their lawns.

When you went camping in the area did you stay in any of the old/decaying buildings? It is weird that sea levels are supposed to rise but this is not the first area I've heard about or visited which has had water levels drop back down significantly.

3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

The beach is huge so we never camped at the old structures. Too superstitious I guess. We just would find another spot away from the old sites. But the water does not rise that far up and back down again. Like I said the land has risen up because of the ocean breeze.

The only trees in those pictures that are not invasive are the coconut trees. Everything else is Kiawe trees. Trust me, they look good in picture because they have been cut back. All year round those the pass through to go fishing or camping ar constantly cutting back the kiawe.

4. campforums

That's a shame, you should at least go in there and do some exploring... Maybe during the day if you are superstitious ;) What I meant with the sea level was there there is a bay near where I live where the water level has dropped back so much that the beach now extends an extra 100 meters or so. Unfortunately this new area is covered in seaweed and nasty shrubs which used to be submerged in the water but now make up most of the beach.

Well at least that means you always have an abundance of good firewood!

5. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

It is the best firewood and great for barbecues. I'm at a lost as to why the island hasn't turned to gasifiers or steam engines to supply power to the island. There is so much damn kiawe. There is no law prohibiting the cutting of the trees. The city wants you to cut it back and use it for firewood.

6. campforums

Well, you know how the saying goes... Necessity is the mother of invention

Draft saved Draft deleted