1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Lake Huron look out ...

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Northern Dancer, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Coming along the trail at Camp Wendake to the lookout to view Lake Huron.

v4mc93.jpg 28inqcp.jpg 22yhpl.jpg

6dyfch.jpg

Lake Huron is the second largest Great Lake by surface area and the fifth largest freshwater lake in the world. It has the longest shoreline of the Great Lakes, counting the shorelines of its 30,000 islands. Manitoulin Island is the largest freshwater island in the world. Shipwrecks are scattered throughout the lake, with five bottomland preserves in Michigan and a national park in Ontario designated to protect the most historically significant ones. Since its French discoverers knew nothing as yet of the other lakes, they called it La Mer Douce, the sweet or fresh water sea.

The Lake Huron basin is heavily forested, sparsely populated, scenically beautiful, and economically dependent on its rich natural resources.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

That last picture is beautiful. It is hard to believe that such a beach is something on Lake Huron. I assume this is the site of your most recent outing?

3. Northern Dancer

Yes. Camp Wandake is located at this site. Camp Wandake is a specialty camp catering to the needs of those who are HIV/AIDS and is only one of it's kind in Canada. I call it camping with a purpose and provide several services, the chief of which is being a member of the care team.

Glad to see you back at the helm.

4. campforums

Thanks, I am glad to be back also. I can imagine that HIV/AIDS would be quite an awful disease to live with and I'm sure that getting together for an awesome camping trip helps everyones mood. Were you there as part of the care team?

5. Northern Dancer

I am a part of the care team - I have a degree in social work and special training in palliative care. And as you know I'm a camper so I do a lot of campy things to help the cause. If I haven't already mentioned it, we are on line - Camp Wendake Diocese of Huron. We have a full resident camp offering a variety of program options from campers that are approximately 2 years old to 67. We get whole families on occasion and though there are not a lot of youth provision is made for them as well. As you might expect we have an extensive health care team as well.

campforums likes this.
  6. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

I almost never hear about this lake, but glad you brought it up. It looks beautiful. We are blessed to have these 5 wonderful lakes beside us

7. Northern Dancer

We really are blessed with fresh water - more than any other nation in the world.

happyflowerlady likes this.
  8. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

It looks so beautiful almost made me think of the show "Lost". I did not think there were shipwrecks that were scattered that far out in Michigan and at a national park in Ontario. I looked at the first pic and I would not want to be on that pathway around nighttime. I heard there is paranormal activity in some of these forests and parks around the world.

9. Northern Dancer

It's on camp property so it's safe and you get great views of the moon and stars from that advantage point too. :)

10. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

Hmmm a view of the moon sounds a bit nice but I would not have a girl with me to see the moon lol. If you say its safe then I for sure would go for the view. Seeing those pics makes me anxious to go to that camp.

11. Northern Dancer

I recall a few years back that I made a comfy indentation in the sand and laid there to look up at a full eclipse of the moon - the best that I have ever seen in my life.

12. campforums

On a clear night the sky can be very beautiful. I don't suppose you've ever examined the moon with a telescope? @Northern Dancer

Actually I am surprised nobody has posted about telescopes on here before...

13. Northern Dancer

On occasion I look at the skies through binoculars and I can see the indentations on the moon clearly. Watching the moon disappearing then re-appearing after a time was awesome. Like I said it was the best ever.

14. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

I like watching the moon sometimes myself just seeing the darkness cover the moon is quite interesting. I wondered what it would be like to live on the moon for a day?

15. Northern Dancer

NASA will have data about that possibility. When I took sociology Doctor Stewart Whitney, as well as being a professor at the university, was also a resource sociologist for that agency. On one occasion he showed us diagrams and charts for space colonies that would accommodate up to 100,000 people.

BUT...somehow I feel that I wouldn't want to be on the moon. Give me the lakes and the streams; the forests and the animals that dwell in the same and a hammock that would allow me to swing to a fro as I looked up at the moon.

16. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

I see what your talking about with the moon. The lakes are always cool to be around though.

17. campforums

It is hard for me to imagine anyone ever living on the moon other than maybe an observation station or something. The moon is pretty bare of any natural resources and bringing things up from earth is very very expensive although that could change. I still don't see why anyone would want to live there. I mean, the weather is not exactly pleasant and you would be so isolated.

18. Northern Dancer

Well...to be really cruel...I listened to a conversation that suggested if would be a great place for to put criminals and those convicted of crimes against humanity. :muted:

19. campforums

Great, it can become the next Australia

20. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

Well if we put crooks up there then they would have to fend for themselves. I mean it would be a good place of you built a moon prison facility and kept the crooks there and well watched. The moon itself would need resources from the Earth to have some sort of survival magnet. If there is food to be given then you would have ensure that the life on the moon understands the value of those natural resources and would not abuse it. So I would just make clear of what needs to be done on the moon.

campforums likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted