1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Leantos and the like...

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by Northern Dancer, Jan 1, 2017.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQNvuV2wVb7Jvh3MjZO4TBGp7aKeOvLXANQlhgUPe9Im4iYumaR.jpg

A primitive but a useful immediate shelter if one has to use one.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS748eUK7zf6zkOBTbjY15rByioQUFmiIQRR--u7_ciWfncY9cpxg.jpg With a little bit of time and determination (did I say skill) you can make an effective shelter that could protect you from the elements.

And then again the modern camper can do something like this...
    upload_2017-1-1_20-35-59.jpeg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSiUwsXgwMukJTLb-JGV9IkY88Eh05siROEHwExMnNAjbOdHpxyfQ.jpg

What ever you do think about the environmental impact and do what is best for the immediate situation. When you are finished break it all down and leave no trace.

In many parks you can find something like this -
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTaAgHSlZwLkEKg7KBS-7Y6OS8bkchAcp_zIehHSQuzFIAOXho2ZA.jpg upload_2017-1-1_20-40-36.jpeg
    That can be mighty fine on a rainy cold day. I've used them in the winter and was surprised how warm they can be.

There are a lot of choices for shelter these days - primitive and modern.

2014_Bear_Paw_Print.jpg

2sweed likes this.
  2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I made one like your silvery tarp picture. I take the tarp most times I go cause I can make a quick and easy setup in case of rain. One trip in rained for three days. I had my table, chair and fire underneath it, and I could dry articles of clothing.

3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

---------------------------------- > :)
    ...every now and then I get a hankering for "Bear B_ _ _ _" camping and take a crack at primitive or basic outdoor life. Some folks now refer to it as survival. Naw...it's just primitive; that is to say before all the folderol over the current stuff we have in our packs.

4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

During my camping days in the mountains, we always bring along a big tent or small tents depending on what kind of tent we could borrow. And when we didn't have a tent, the lean-to is our alternative. The advantage in our camping venue is the availability of bamboo. The native bamboo called buho is a bit soft and easier to fashion into a hovel which can be our shelter for the night. But if there is no bamboo, small branches can be used.

The risk when there is no tent is the probability of rain. We get wet when it rains because the lean-to is not a shield against the rain.

Draft saved Draft deleted