1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Long hikes.

Discussion in 'Trails' started by Jpix, May 12, 2013.

1. Jpix

Jpix Newbie

I have never actually taken a long hike (though I have gotten lost and a short one turned kinds long).

What type of things do you usually bring with you? I carry my backpack and in it I usually have a snack or two, some first aid, duck tape(you never know when you'll need it) and a few small items that I can't seem to remember right now. But I'm not really sure what I should pack for a very long hike, or if there's much difference.

2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

You might want to consider a map of the area and a compass. Always have water with you and a filter system or way of making stream water safe to drink. Water is the most important element in keeping yourself alive should you get lost.

Take healthy snacks that provide protein, like the bars or a trail mixture. First Aid supplies and a whistle. Matches or a striker stick for starting a campfire, should you be out longer than expected. A lightweight body reflective tarp, that can be folded up and used if the night turns cold. It depends on if your taking a long day hike or you intend to sleep overnight, as to the other supplies needed. I will let others fill in their suggestions.

3. Jpix

Jpix Newbie

Thanks for your input!

I typically bring a few bottles of water but a filter system would be useful, ideas for that? As for snacks I like a lot of protein bars and I love Nature valley's granola bars. I bring a lot of first aid and waterproof matches and I have a few of of those reflective blankets in my first aid kit. A whistle I hadn't though of though and a Map I should have thought of, but didn't thanks!

It would likely be a day long hike, but I know anything can happen.

4. Anons123

Anons123 Newbie

No but I love it. Photographers are on trails all the time. Just the ones that like wilderness shot

5. bigteeth96

bigteeth96 Newbie

I bring my nalgene bottle, a pocketknife, binoculars, some rope, duct tape, and an old compass.

Draft saved Draft deleted