1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

LONGEST TRAIL on the PLANET--->

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Northern Dancer, Sep 6, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Canada is about to finish the world's longest trail network.
    Lace up your boots, pump up your tires,
    ready your paddles, and prepare for 24,000km of adventure.

The Trans Canada Trail Aims for The Great Trail to be connected in 2017 for Canada 150.

Canada is home to the greatest trail in the world. Our epic trail of trails was created by thousands of dreamers, can-doers, volunteers, friends and partners sharing the same audacious goal of connecting our country. Though Canada is as diverse as it is vast, we can all find common ground on the Trail.

When we stand on The Great Trail, there is one common element that unites us from coast-to-coast-to-coast. Its the view that all those travelling the Trail share – the horizon. This view is full of possibilities, discovery and adventure, linking 15,000 communities along 24,000 km. To follow the horizon along The Great Trail is to discover the beauty of Canada. Its vanishing point leads us across our country, through the wild, the rural and the urban, by waterways, roadways and footpaths.

upload_2016-9-6_20-7-7.png
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTQJyrXWtp6nzoXxEt3XOBdXOuJiSDqe8mZ5ISGN8w4B3IIkBdu.jpg

Check it out - it's online!

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

That's unbelievable, is it from coast to coast? Do you know how long it has been under construction? I would imagine some parts of it have been around for years and years but there was also lots of effort to connect it all together.

3. Northern Dancer

....it is an amazing accomplishment and has been in the works for years. Now that you are aware of it look for the signs and kiosks in communities. The trail goes through a part of my neck of the woods.. Every now and then you will see a large sign filled with donours names and memorial names. Everything is ready for our Nation's 150th.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT3I3fVaqCMac731ls1sR5MFROyQo8Z4qqpSxIQExnckR2BA0i_.jpg
    It is now the world's longest network of recreational trails. It began construction in 1992. To date it has been funded largely by Canadian federal and provincial governments, with significant contributions from corporate and individual donors. The first province to have completed its designated section of the trail was Prince Edward Island.
    The network of the Trans Canada Trail is made up of more than 400 community trails. Each trail section is developed, owned and managed locally by trail groups, conservation authorities and by municipal, provincial and federal governments, for instance in parks such as Gatineau Park or along existing trails such as the Rideau Trail and Voyageur Hiking Trail. The Trans Canada Trail supports and is made up of green ways.

"Mile Zero" of the Trail is located outside the Railway Coastal Museum in St. John's, Newfoundland.

250px-Trans_Canada_Trail_Pavilion.jpg One of the many kiosks that you will see.

upload_2016-9-8_9-12-57.jpeg

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

The second map you posted it looks like part of it extends all the way up towards Alaska and back down again, I can understand the more southern parts of the trail getting a lot of use but that seems strange to me.

I am really thankful for our great national parks system.

5. Northern Dancer

...we can do it big in this country because we are. There is foresight here - looking far beyond our present situation and way into the future. :)

6. gracer

gracer Explorer

This definitely looks very exciting. I wish I could also experience trekking in such a trail but I guess I'll just have to depend on your experiences on this. I couldn't wait to hear about your updates on this upcoming event in your area. I think that this is actually one great adventure for families and groups who love the outdoors. :)

7. Northern Dancer

...it is designed for just about everyone. Campers, hikers, bikers and everyone in between. The trail will take people through virgin wilderness, open water, mountain passes and through villages and towns and crowded cities. It is one of those marvellous things that can happen when a people can get their act together to see a much broader picture and the possibilities it can afford.

gracer likes this.
  8. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

That is an amazing trail. I have read a short article about how goods were transported from coast to coast by canoe through Canada. I would guess that helped create parts of this trail.

9. Northern Dancer

It is one of those mammoth projects that has incorporated just about every plan that was presented. Every jurisdiction, government, private consortium, individuals at every level, land owners and private business have been contributors to make this dream a reality. Getting people together to accomplish this is short of a miracle in itself.

10. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I'll bet there will be lots of long distance backpackers taking on this trail. It makes me tired just looking at the map. It will be a wonderful experience for many who love the exploring of trails and nature abound. Thanks for sharing this. :cool::bear:

11. Northern Dancer

@2sweed...you are welcome. Some of the trail comes through my neck of the woods and I'm planning a short hike. I expect some will try to tackle the entirety of the trail but it's just a bit big for me. [Well okay...a lot big!]

However, I've decided to do something different for next years camping extravaganza - I've selected new sites that I've never been to before. A lot more wilderness for a lot less cost that I've paying these last few years. And yes - I'll probably spend some time in Algonquin, but not as much as I have in the past.

Draft saved Draft deleted