1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Lunar Eclipse Oct 8th...

Discussion in 'Nature' started by Northern Dancer, Oct 7, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Another of Nature's wonders.

This total lunar eclipse will occur this Wednesday October 8, 2014. It will be visible from North America, parts of Australia, China and Japan. Parts of South Asia, and Eastern Europe will see a partial eclipse. The penumbral phase of the eclipse will begin at 8:17 A.M. (08:17) *UTC on October 8, 2014 and the eclipse will end at 1:32 P.M. (13:32) UTC the same day. The moon will be totally eclipsed (totality) for about 58 minutes.

* UTC - Co-ordinated Universal Time

This will also be a good time to see the Draconid meteor shower, which is expected to peak on October 8-9, 2014.

91ji15.jpg

I was blessed to see a full eclipse of the moon a few summers back - was in total awe - the best that I have ever seen in my life; breath taking and soul moving.

2. Northern Dancer

IF YOU MISSED THE LUNAR ECLIPSE YOU MISSED IT! :(

The next total solar eclipse will be on March 20, 2015 and
    the next total lunar eclipse will be on April 4, 2015 :)

HoPe tO sEe YoU tHeN

3. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

Cannot wait to see it next year. I just love to see that eclipse occur.

4. Northern Dancer

I can wait...I've got a whole lot of planning to do for next year. In the meantime I'm hoping to get away more often and camp in the winter months when the snow is on the ground.

It is simply fabulous to be out camping at the time of any eclipse. There are no city buildings or light to get in the way of the show. But that has only happened on a few occasions. I suppose I could get away in April to see the lunar eclipse because it is a weekend.

5. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Thanks for the heads up @Northern Dancer, I didn't have time to post but I did get a glimpse of part of the eclipse which can sometimes be difficult in the city. I have actually seen quite a few lunar eclipses but I have never seen a solar eclipse.

Northern Dancer likes this.
  6. Northern Dancer

You are welcome...I noticed that you planted a tree. :) That's good for the environment.

7. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Yep, it is our official logo :D

Northern Dancer likes this.
  8. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

That is a awesome official logo for you lol. I would like to physically be present at the Lunar Eclipse.

9. Northern Dancer

2lnu2o4.jpg

Enlightenment
    is like the moon reflected on the water.
    The moon does not get wet,
    nor is the water broken.
    Although its light is wide and great,
    the moon is reflected
    even in a puddle an inch wide.
    The whole moon and the entire sky
    are reflected in one dewdrop on the grass.
    - Dogen

2vunhi9.jpg

10. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

That moon in the pic above looks beautiful to see. I just want to lunar eclipse to get here now lol.

11. Northern Dancer

Thank you.

Draft saved Draft deleted