1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Make A Chum Pot To Attract Fish

Discussion in 'On the Water' started by 2sweed, Mar 11, 2014.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

If your ever out fishing on fresh water or salt water, and catching no fish, then try this simple gimmick. Bring along a small can of cat food. With a ice pick or blade point, punch about a half-a-dozen holes through the top and sides of the can. Tie one end of a piece of line through the holes punched in the can. Lower this chum pot to the desired level, and tie the other end to your boat or the dock, or a tree limb. This should attract fish within 100 yards of where you are. This same chum pot can be used over and over again. This would be handy to use in the summer or winter.

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Sounds interesting - I think I'll use that this summer and see how I fair. Thanks for the suggestion.

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

That's a clever trick and also a much more efficient use of bait than when I see fishermen simply throwing handfuls of chum into the water where they are fishing.

chumpot.png

4. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Neat trick - I've yet to bother with chumming the waters (outside of a few specialized trips with friends), but I'll keep this in mind if only for some friends.

5. campforums

Did you get a chance to test it out?

6. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Me and some friends gave it a shot - and it seemed to work okay all things considered. That said one of them had the idea to try different brands of cat food to see if there would be any real difference. The only problem was none of us could figure out how to set the experiment in a way that'd be meaningful. Then again we were... how to say this... a bit drunk.

7. Northern Dancer

THIS IS A FOLLOW UP

I mentioned that I would try the chum pot [chumming] to see if it would work and it did. Though somehow I think the conventional fishing pole would do just fine by itself unless you are into ice fishing. Keep in mind I'm no fisherman. Just the same I like trying new ideas and things that I haven't done before.

8. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

Will definitely try this next time I go fishing. The problem is how do you know if its working? maybe try to catch fish without it at first, then try it to see the difference

9. Northern Dancer

I don't have enough experience to answer that one - 2sweed seems to have the skill.

10. 2sweed

I would dangle the can at a level where I could easily see if any fish were attracted to it. I would think that any meat flavor would attract fish. Like chicken or fish even. My brother tried it and seemed to help improve his fishing success. Worth trying.

11. campforums

I think most fisherman will agree that chumming works, but by adding a bucket you get to use less chum because it stays together within the bucket/tin.

12. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

This sounds like a very entertaining trick to pull. Maybe you can post a video to show how this is done I would love to see you showcase this amazing trick.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2014
  13. 2sweed

I will see if I can find a video on this subject. :)

14. campforums

That has always been your specialty ;)

15. 2sweed

While this video does not show the method written above it does provide the reasoning behind the use of a chum pot and how it attracts fish. So if you chose to use the cat food can, this video shows how and why it works. Hope this is helpful.

16. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

Well this is good enough for now. I mean just have to keep searching but I think this video would answer that question about the meaning of the trick so it would not be a problem learning.

17. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Chicken works pretty well, but not as well as raw chicken on a line. Fish doesn't work as well, but then again it may depend on the brand. Also using sardines in a can work really, really well overall. Amazingly the most success seemed to be from like "beef" and "breakfast surprise". I have to keep experimenting with things tho.

18. campforums

@Esperahol, you seem to be feeding the fish quite well ;) I don't think they are all that picky. Most of the time the stuff I see thrown in is leftover crap that nobody would eat like animal cuts and off-cuts from the meat. But hey if you don't mind and it is working for you then maybe it is your trick that sets you apart. Let us know which you find to be the most sucessful.

Draft saved Draft deleted