1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Makeshift stove

Discussion in 'Food' started by Alexandoy, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

This is a basic learning in scouting – creating a stove made of stones or rocks. But how about if there are not rocks or stones in the vicinity? Our usual campsites are near the river so getting stones is no problem. But sometimes we chance upon a forest campsite where there are no big stones. In this case, what we use are small branches that we build like a griller and the fire under it. The cooking should be fast because the griller is made of wood and they will also burn. It is fortunate if you have a pot with a holder which you can use to hang the pot over the fire. That would be easy cooking.

Northern Dancer likes this.
  2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...right on @Alexandoy. I make stoves out of a cans. Usually I use a coffee can so I can insert a fuel can if need be.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRjeFNvX2g_veA9Hfz2oK9_mhfg2AZJKpaiXj7PtQ5szbAdhMEc.jpg but... I often use this. images?q=tbn:ANd9GcShrbTrWlyqN4u8j6SZP6yMY8MY5eI5Zw0DMePxOG6mhlt3jlPq.jpg

It is compact and the fuel lasts for server days. Really good in wet weather.

AND SPEAKING OF SCOUTING they still have the best field manuals bar none.

Draft saved Draft deleted