1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Making a toilet for sanitation in the campsite

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by Alexandoy, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

It is a good practice to build a latrine when camping in the woods to maintain the sanitation of the area. Always remember that animals and insects abound in the woods that they can feast on the human waste which is not a good idea. The best thing to do is to dig 2 holes, that would be one for the urinal and one for the human solid waste. Don’t forget to provide a cover like a mesh of branches and twigs so the improvised toilet will be covered properly. And it is best to dig the holes in a covered area like a bushy place.

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...an important topic whether we like it or not. The organized interior sites in our neck of the woods have the famous thunder box.

upload_2017-3-24_12-10-46.jpeg

But in the more remote interior we use much as you describe @Alexandoy with one exception. Because we tend to be out longer we bring along a toilet seat.

upload_2017-3-24_12-16-4.jpeg There are a variety of makes and models you can choose from. It's up to you. The reason we do this is to keep us up off the ground. Each tripper is responsible for their own bio degradable toilet paper. There is a community sanitizer that is a mandatory and we use bio soap for everything including washing ourselves.
    upload_2017-3-24_12-21-29.jpeg Toilet Paper images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSI5SSZG--CpcadbH5kNckCfbOQVj27uebbNKbePWBbGtrgnFPW.jpg Water Proof Holder

upload_2017-3-24_12-29-39.jpeg Hand Sanitizer images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQzEW5OS5B00EAyhBNgXT8mg7qyVfn4PN9zKmuHv3-Olb4bgOne.jpg Camp Soap

AND WE ALSO SUBSCRIBE to using a Grey Water Space to dispose of waste water - in one space.
    There is always the debate - do you throw it out onto the ground or in the trees? Or do you dig a hole and pour all the grey water into it so it can be buried? Take you pick folks - the arguments are heated on both sides. We use one space only.

When possible without being ridiculous follow these guide lines.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLOANhXdiTZL3mJ2E0IaKtW8ojNoO3bphD9j6SPDwu4rDCsGxa.jpg Ya...they have it right. :)

3. sea_goin_dude

sea_goin_dude Novice Camper

Here is an idea and can be used for other needs as well as camp toilet. I always have several 5 gal buckets with lids. You can use one for your toilet. line it with one of those plastic bags we all get everywhere we go now. Maybe use double bag. After use you can bury the bag and your bucket stays clean for next time. WORKS FOR ME.

4. Northern Dancer

....you can do all that stuff - but not in the interior. I'll be tripping next week into a new location. Though they have the standard "Thunder Box" I can guarantee that there will be no toilet seat. So I take one along, install it and leave it behind. I mean - well you know what I mean. :bag: You know it's mine because it has my logo on it. Stay tuned for a photo after the trip.

upload_2017-7-26_11-11-52.jpeg

5. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Oh yes the 5 gallon ole reliable thing. Another reason to have one cause when you have camp setup your bucket is empty and can be used for a loo. Just be sure to clean it real good before putting your camping stuff back in it. Eeewwe just kidding. If you do use one, make sure you mount a seat on that thing because it sure hurts the ole behind to sit on.

6. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

You have toilet seat with your insignia on it? I don't want know. So where you off to, or do we need to guess. Wow this could be a fun game. Like hiding clues for someone else to find.

7. Northern Dancer

-----> I know I know, I just take this camping stuff too seriously.

Actually - we are returning to Red Pine Lake but staying at a site that we haven't been before. From there we will explore the area to our hearts content. We are planning to be away for five nights so we can really enjoy ourselves.

I have two basic (camp) insignias that are on just about every piece of equipment that I own. Should you see any they will identify my stuff and/or tell you that I have been present. Man...that kinda sounds arrogant on my part.

black_bear.jpg AND 2014_Bear_Paw_Print.jpg

8. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Red Pine lake, cool. I'll ask more about Red Pine on a new post. Doesn't feel right getting off subject.

Draft saved Draft deleted