1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Making coffee

Discussion in 'Food' started by campforums, Jul 30, 2013.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I have never had any coffee while out camping but I thought it might be a nice idea if I can figure out a way that is not too difficult to make it. I usually drink coffee because I'm tired and have some things I need to get done which require my full attention, something that doesn't happen much while enjoying a nice mellow camping trip. However I've been thinking of some good snacks which I haven't brought along before and it got me thinking of having something hot to warm you up after taking a dip in a cool lake or waking up after a chilly night.

I think making hot chocolate would be much easier because you could just mix it in with some hot water and you're ready to go but with coffee its needs to sit a bit longer to absorb the flavor from the beans. Since I've never done it without a coffee maker I think the simplest way would be to bring some ground coffee and a few coffee filters then boil some water in a pot over the fire and add the ground coffee to it. Then wait a few minutes for it to cool a little and for the ground coffee particles to settle to the bottom of the pot and scoop out a mug full from the top.

Let me know if you've got a better idea that doesn't involve using a coffee maker or have done this before.

2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

There is always instant coffee that comes in jars or even some instant coffee is packaged like tea bags that you just add to boiling water and let steep for a few minutes until the coffee is as strong as you prefer it to be. When camping we always had a small coffee pot that had a metal filter that did not require a paper liner to make coffee in. I keep one of these pots in my emergency gear.

Water is added to the pot and then the metal filter is placed on a long metal stem and sat in the pot. The coffee is added into the filter and a lid is placed on the filter, then the coffee pot lid is placed on top. The lid has a glass bulb in the middle of the lid that shows you when the coffee is perking. You time it for how long it takes to make the coffee to your liking in strength. Sometimes grounds escape into the coffee but usually sink to the bottom of the pot.

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

D'oh!! How could I forget about instant coffee? I've actually tried it a few times when they were giving out free Nescafe instant coffees on the street downtown however it didn't taste exactly right. It was convenient though, all the coffee, cream and sweetener all in one package/powder than you could just dump into a cup of hot water and stir a few times and be ready to enjoy.

The pot is an interesting option too but I don't think I want to bring a metal pot specifically for making coffee unless it can be used for other stuff too and replace the pot I normally use.

4. Faust

Faust Explorer

French Press!
    Get a plastic one from Canadian Tire. You can make coffee or tea, just let it brew for 5 mins then press it.

0761083_1.jpeg

$20.00
    I know Jet Boil makes a press that fits their cup.
    I've seen cone coffee filters with a wooden skewer that goes through them, the skewer holds the filter kinda in your mug for a make shift coffee drip. (at Campers Village I think).
    Percolator is great, I use one at home. Tendency to burn the coffee over a fire.
    Sorry, I'm a coffee fanatic..

Draft saved Draft deleted