1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Making fire using bamboo

Discussion in 'Food' started by Alexandoy, Mar 24, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

The basic fire-making procedure was taught to boy scouts during my time. We would be asked to get a bamboo pole. This is a tedious task because the bamboo has small twigs that are entwined so even if you cut the bamboo pole, you cannot just pull it. The fresh bamboo is shaved and 2 pieces of bamboo will serve as the friction maker. As the 2 pieces of bamboo are sliding with each other, the shavings will serve as fuel. In a minute or two, the heat created by the 2 pieces of bamboo will spark and start a fire. It is easier said than done but boy scouts cannot get their first merit badge without successfully creating fire from bamboo.

2. Jasmin Cottontail

Jasmin Cottontail Novice Camper

I remember making a fire out of a bamboo when I was in elementary. Our teacher taught us to do so since we have girl scouts' club and it's mandatory for us to join. I find it hard making a fire the first time but eventually, I was able to do it. I was amazed by it and with the idea that I can make a fire out of a wood :)

3. rz3300

rz3300 Explorer

I am sure I have ever thought of this or thought it was possible, but I am very intrigued now. Does this work? For some reason I would think it would be too wet but maybe I am missing something here.

4. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...but alas - there is no bamboo in Canada. :( And like every country, camping needs and how they are met are different. That's why it is so interesting learning how others do their thing.

So...in this neck of the woods you would need

1 :thumbsup: Kindling Wood
    [Tiny pieces of wood of any description.]
    2 :thumbsup: Finger Wood
    [Wood that can be broken in two by your fingers.]
    3 :thumbsup: Knee Wood
    [Bigger sticks that can easily be broken by using your knee.]
    THEN?
    What kind of structure?
    [T-pee, Log Cabin, or maybe a combination of both, possibly a Reflector Fire?]
    Now you can light your fire.
    [Wooden matches, a flint, or a barbecue lighter.]

:bear: Baden Bear here, "ND is talking about a small camp/cooking fire and not a bond fire or some other monstrosity that could be dangerous and hazardous to the forest."
    upload_2017-3-24_18-56-33.jpeg upload_2017-3-24_18-57-27.png upload_2017-3-24_19-1-48.png
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT4vsVyRu7FGJo4YIA8deoU2rrmVz023OSopo0FtivYidg1_HECxA.jpg

You can't beat the Scout Organization for the top "how to" camp skills. :)

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
  5. Bibsoutdoors

Bibsoutdoors Survivalist

ND, your going to make me go blind with those hard to read colors! You could use those colors when you want to rip me, I couldn't read what you said. Ha ha

Bibsoutdoors

6. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Well, I like to think they match my personality sort of - colourful. (Canadian spelling.)

Bibsoutdoors likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted