1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Making Your Own Instant Oatmeal Packets

Discussion in 'Food' started by 2sweed, Apr 17, 2015.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

This is a simple way to save money and yet create mixed types of instant oatmeal for camping or hiking, or home use, for those who prefer homemade to store bought products.

Ingredients:
    • 3 cups oatmeal (quick cooking)
    • pinch to 1/8 tsp of salt to taste in each bag
    • 8 small zip-like baggies
    Directions:
    1. Process 1/2 cup oatmeal in a blender until powdery
    2. Set aside.
    3. Repeat (step 1) with an additional 1/2 cup of oatmeal
    4. Put the following in each baggie: 1/4 cup regular oats, 2 tablespoons powdered oats, and 1/8 teaspoon salt.
    5. Store any remaining ingredient in an airtight container.
    6. To serve, empty one packet into a bowl. Add 3/4 cup of boiling water. Stir and let stand 2 minutes.
    7. Adjust water amount for thicker or thinner oatmeal.
    8. For sweetened oatmeal add: 1 tablespoon sugar
    9. Or variations:
      • Brown Sugar/Cinnamon: Add 1 T. Brown sugar and 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
      • Apple/Cinnamon: Add 1 Tablespoon sugar, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 2 Tablespoons chopped dried apple.
      • Fruit/Cream: Add 1 Tablespoon non-dairy coffee creamer, 2 Tablespoons dried fruit
      • Health Nut: Add 2 Tablespoons any kind of wheat germ and 1 Tablespoon chopped walnuts

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 17, 2015
    L_B likes this.
  2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Is this the only difference between quick oatmeal and normal kind?

I usually buy quick oatmeal in bulk but I haven't noticed that the price is any more than the regular kind. I do also add in a little salt and some brown sugar when I make it though.

3. 2sweed

The regular oats takes longer to cook, then the quick oatmeal. lol

4. campforums

True.... haha, that should have been self explanatory from the name I guess.

I meant like what is the difference between them though? Is it just the quick oats have been sliced differently? Or do they do something else to it?

5. 2sweed

campforums likes this.
  6. campforums

I like the section you added although walnuts are probably my least favorite nut, in fact I really don't like the taste of them. I might try that variation but substitute the walnuts for almonds or pistachios.

7. Tristian Fanworth

Tristian Fanworth Novice Camper

How do you go about adding in fruit to this oatmeal? I have a little one that loves oatmeal, but only if it has some type of fruit inside of it. Is it easy to add in dried fruit to the recipe or do you need to add these in during the cooking process?

8. campforums

In my opinion it depends the type of fruit. If it is fresh fruit like some strawberries or blueberries then you should put them on top after it is cooked and mix them in if you want. For dried fruits like raisins or dehydrated peaches, I like to put them in when I cook or add hot water to the oatmeal.

9. Tristian Fanworth

That is what I was talking about the dried fruits. My kids, for whatever reason will not touch the fresh fruits unless they are eating them on their own or in the form of a cheesecake. So they will only eat their oatmeal with the dried fruits. I guess my question would be more of if you can actually put the dried fruit in the instant oatmeals you make or not. I think that may clear it up some because I read my question again and it could be confusing!

10. campforums

Ya, it works great. You should definitely give it a try. For instant oatmeal just add some boiling water, mix the dried fruit in and then let it sit for a minute or two. Tastes great and the heat softens up the dried fruit quite a bit.

11. Tristian Fanworth

I have made my baby the homemade oatmeal before and he was kind of put off by it, but I did not think about adding in the sugar and such that you guys mentioned earlier.

12. campforums

That is probably why, the biggest difference between making your own and the premade serving size packets is the huge amounts of sugar in the premade packets. I prefer my own because I can put as little or as much as I want, but when I first switched over from the premade ones I noticed a big difference in taste. You will be surprised how much sugar it takes to get that taste, you usually don't really get to see it when you use the premade ones but when you have to scoop it in spoonful by spoonful you do.

Tristian Fanworth likes this.
  13. 2sweed

You can add the dried fruit when you mix the ingredients together and then it is good to go when you cook it up. If you use the instant oatmeal then just add boiling water and stir until fruit is soft and ready to eat.

14. Tristian Fanworth

Thank you for the help 2sweed! That will save me a ton of money because it is easier and cheaper to make the regular instant and add in the fruit dried. One of my son loves Blueberries in his and the instant they sell in the store only has 2 packs of those in a variety box of 8. So it is going to be a lot easier to do it that way!

15. 2sweed

Plus by adding your own dried fruit you can put more in and mix them up a bit. My mom loves the ones with fruit in instead of plain oatmeal.

Draft saved Draft deleted