1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Man Dies From Rattlesnake Bite

Discussion in 'Nature' started by 2sweed, Jul 28, 2015.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

2. Tristian Fanworth

Tristian Fanworth Novice Camper

With all of the venom of a rattlesnake, I am surprised this has not been a more common problem. However, what was the allergic reaction to? I mean they could have treated that in most cases.

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Well technically any sort of reaction you have to snake or insect bikes are a form of allergic reaction. We don't really think of it this way because almost everyone has a reaction to it, but the method it attacks your body is the same.

4. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

Snake bites are not any fun at all, and this guy must have either been very susceptible to the venom, or he was bitten in an area where the venom could get right into his bloodstream and kill him.

When I was bitten by the copperhead (about 15 years ago); it was on the ankle, and I was able to get to a hospital within a half hour. I remember being really upset that they would not even LOOK at the snakebite until they had first vaccinated me for tuberculosis. They said that a vaccination was a requirement for being treated at that hospital, regardless of what was wrong when you came in.

It didn't make much sense to me because it seemed like if a person was close to dying, the time spent on the test and vaccination might make the difference whether that person lived or died. Fortunately.....I lived.

campforums likes this.
  5. JessiFox

JessiFox Novice Camper

I'm surprised it's not a more common occurrence, but it does sound like it was likely a severe allergic reaction. So sad. I'll never be caught anywhere near a snake if I can help it.

campforums likes this.
  6. Camp6

Camp6 Novice Camper

Besides the rattle snake, some of the snakes that are dangerous include the coral snake, water moccasin and copperhead. Incase of a snake bite don't cut the wound or attempt to remove the venom. Don't try to capture the snake but try to remember its color and shape so that you can describe it to the doctor. It is very important to carry a mobile phone when you go camping. You can then call emergency services to rush you to hospital.

killeroy154 likes this.
  7. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

8. HikingHans

HikingHans Novice Camper

Poor fellow. It is fairly uncommon for an adult to die from a rattle snake bite these days. Still, if you hike in areas with these snakes, and I do, it is a good idea to wear appropriate footwear and be aware of their habits. Most of the bites I am aware of in this area were as a result of young people messing with them. However, they can strike with being riled up.

Draft saved Draft deleted