1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Marshmallows

Discussion in 'Food' started by bigteeth96, Aug 5, 2013.

1. bigteeth96

bigteeth96 Newbie

Is anyone a fan of marshmallows / smores? They aren't primitive, but I love to bring some graham crackers along with me every time I go camping. Even if I just have a little bonfire, I will bring some. I can never seem to get the perfect crisp though.

2. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I like marshmallows, but generally I don't carry them with me - pack space is at a premium and marshmallows aren't that important to me. That said I am a marshmallow cooking pro - but then again there was a lot of camping for my troop. Yeah for being a Scout!

3. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I like them made when camping with friends and their children. But I must confess I always enjoyed eating the smore ingredients by themselves. Chocolate bars. Yum! Lightly toasted marshmallows. Yum! Graham crackers. Yum!

4. Lanna

Lanna Newbie

I looove s'mores but I haven't had them camping since I was a kid. I have to buy special, sort of expensive, vegan marshmallows online so it really rains on my s'mores parade. I really can't tell the difference between vegan and real marshmallows so the taste isn't too different, but there's something about the classic bag of marshmallows that adds to the fun of s'mores.

5. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

@Lanna, vegan marshmallows huh... What do they use instead of gelatin?

and do they still melt the same way? Like this, :p

tumblr_lzp7byWULW1qhzw2so1_500.png
    tumblr_mpfsmwJzA61rggcw4o1_500.jpg
    tumblr_lznzmzUWYr1ql0o7zo1_500.jpg

6. Lanna

Lanna Newbie

Welllll they may not melt exactly like that, but they're way more delicious! You can still roast them on a stick which is the fun part! And if you eat them in the dark, you can't even tell they look a little different :p

And take a look at this beauty:
    O.SMORE_WEB__92048.1415745726.400.400.jpeg

The company makes premade s'mores. How glorious is that?!

I'm not sure what they use instead of gelatin. I think they want to keep it a secret because they have a monopoly on the vegan marshmallow market. I'm guessing they use agar-agar, but I could be way off.

7. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

I like marshmallows and I've done well getting giant bags of giant marshmallows at like Big Lots. The only problem is getting a good size graham cracker and some king-size chocolate. Also I tend to make them at home with the microwave.

Draft saved Draft deleted