1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Mew Lake Base Camp Prep

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Northern Dancer, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

So what did I forget? This is the first long term camp prepared for the season though there are smaller experiences planned before this date. I've never been to Mew Lake and I'm looking forward to the change. CCI20180313.jpg

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Great list. Very thorough. I can't say whether you are leaving anything out or not. Maybe need larger csnoe? 14 days sounds great. I do have 1 question, it's still a little cool up that way so why the summer tent? Wouldn't the winter tent be more comfortable?

3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

The equipment listed if primarily for base camp with provision for canoe/camping experience. What I've been doing for years now is to have a base and enjoy two and three nights out in the interior and then return to tad more luxury. I'm planning to be away July 9th to July 23rd - missing the full moon on the 27th. The average temperature for Mew in July is 25 Celsius or 77 Fahrenheit US. We are usually assured that the bulk of the mosquitoes are gone - though they still like to come out at night to let you know they are still around.

The evenings can get cool and certainly it's cool if it rains for a day or two - but not enough for a stove. I do have my Buddy heater to ward off such occasions. I opted for a winter bag - just because I can.

I have a variety of different tents in my inventory and like to inner change them and so for this trip I selected the Summer Alaknak which really is a three season tent. I have my Outback Lodge tent that I like to take on canoe trips because it is big but still light weight. Err, um...maybe I should take that one instead of the Hooligan? Decisions decisions decisions. :)

__________________________________________________________________________________

:bear: Baden Bear here. Northern Dancer always enjoys the discourse and likes sharing experiences and circumstances with you. He's saddened that a lot more of the members aren't on line sharing too. He senses there is a lot of talent out there and if not that, a lot of interest - but we don't seem to hear from the camper crowd.

___________________________________________________________________________________

4. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

Pardon me for saying this but your list looks like you are establishing a home. My own list would definitely pale in comparison even if it is for a family camping much more when it is a hunting or camping trip of the boys. But in fairness to you as you said with the base camp maybe your list is just fine although you may need a big vehicle to bring all of those.

Draft saved Draft deleted