1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Mini camping stove

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by zigzigzig, Sep 4, 2015.

1. zigzigzig

zigzigzig Newbie

I am looking for mini camping stove like msr, primus, optimus etc that works with multiple fuels. I have $100 to spend and I was hoping that you all could recommend something. I know $100 isn't a lot to spend, so I may have to buy it used, which is ok with me. I just don't know a lot about them and I was hoping to get some good advice and recommendations from everyone. Thanks

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Hi there - really good to see you on line. I have three mini stoves.

I prefer the Primus. In our neck of the woods it is only 12.50 [Canadian]. True the fuel is a bit costly but I've noted that it lasts for sometime.

upload_2015-9-5_20-9-53.jpeg I also have a Broadstone - I use this for bigger pots and such. I didn't think it that costly. True - it's a bit heavier. You have to decide what is best for your needs and camping style.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcThvSjdjpKb_2TmYY9TwhrlL6s5dtgQwLWfsGWmLbiz9WoOsbSvcQ.jpg You could make your own from a tin food can and simply use forest floor wood - I've done that a lot of the time - cheap, efficient and light to carry. There is no cost for the fuel.

What kind of camping are you into?

3. zigzigzig

zigzigzig Newbie

Thanks for the reply. I wanted a multi fuel stove because I drive a semi and I never know where I will be and what fuel might be available. I also wanted a way to cook that doesn't create smoke in case I don't want to draw attention to myself. I just bought an msr gk stove and I now need to get a bottle and pump for it. I read that the gk will burn kerosene and gas, so that will give me options on a cross country trek.

4. Northern Dancer

____________________________________________________________ :)

You are right. It all depends on what and how you plan to use the stove. Let me see...I have seven stoves of various kinds including the Camp Chef stove/oven combo. A popular hot item has been the

5031-449_NOC02_view1_150x150.jpg Biolite [though I haven't bought one].

And then again there is...well...just about every kind of contraption one can purchase.

So...what kind of camping are you into?

5. zigzigzig

zigzigzig Newbie

Me and my sons usually just do overnight camping. We do it year round no matter what the temperature is. We try out new equipment and camping techniques that we get and learn. We are basically practicing for if one of us gets stranded away from home. We just started doing this a few months ago and since we are new to camping and survival, we have a lot of learning to do. We are concentrating on gear that we can carry on our back. We all have survival bags that we keep with us at all times. My kids would only have at most a three day walk if stranded, however I could have up to a 30 day walk if I were stranded on a delivery in my semi. So most of the things we try are geared towards getting me home. I am a cross between a prepper and a camper. I next adventure is hopefully a rainy day camp out. We are trying to learn how to make it in all kinds of weather. That is why I am looking for a multi fuel, compact stove.

6. Northern Dancer

_____________________________________________________________________ :)

Interesting stuff - sounds like a lot of fun, or I hope it is. I instruct the Arts of Camping. In terms of equipment, when I think of survival [true survival] I use the land. I wouldn't be considering any kind of man made fuel device - it would be building my own.

From what you have shared it sounds to me equipping yourself for a canoe like experience would be the best answer - everything goes in the pack. The marvellous thing today is that there are so many excellent pieces of equipment and gadgets that one can buy.

Look up Gear Junkie or 50 Campfires [free email mags], just to name a few, there are a lot of interesting items and articles. Be careful about the Survivor Sites and stay with regular sites - the ones that talk about equipment and not ideologies.

How old are the "kids"?

7. zigzigzig

zigzigzig Newbie

I agree with you. I am looking for equipment and camping tips that will work for me and not ideologies. My kids are 21 and 25 and they both enjoy the challenge of our overnight camping. Right now we're researching equipment and techniques for wet weather camping. We want to do this without a modern tent because I don't have room to carry it on my back. So we are going with a tarp that I carry and use what in nature to keep the rain off and keep us warm.

8. Northern Dancer

_____________________________________________________________________________ :)

I would be teaching the guys techniques to carry me through the jungle.

It's great to see you working and camping together like that - it doesn't happen very often. I have three modern tarps - light weight, durable and good in the wind and rain. You can one on the thread, "We came, we saw, we..." Its called a silicone guides tarp (3.9m by 2.9m). I like it too because it isn't nosey in the wind like many of the others. It also has a pole centre to raise it up to let the rain fun off.

Starting Wednesday I'll be in Algonquin for 16 days. I have a base camp (it's on a thread somewhere) and when I travel into the interior I use as little weight as possible. (Including my Prospector canoe - 38 pounds.)

9. zigzigzig

zigzigzig Newbie

Thanks for the tip on the tarp. The one I am carrying now is just a cheap blue one from Walmart.

10. zigzigzig

zigzigzig Newbie

My sleeping bag was stolen and I have to replace it. Do you have any recommendations on sleeping bags and 1 man bivouac tents?

11. Northern Dancer

zigzigzig Really - you had a sleeping bag stolen? In all my years of camping I've never had anything stolen - not even when I abandoned my base camp to go into the interior. Man...that really sucks.

To get back to your question. :( There is no specific answer. Everyone has their preference to shape, size, weight, material, durability and such. It boils down to when, how often, climate and yes - how much do you want to spend.

My rule of thumb is to use a three season bag at base and an insert that can be removed. I even use an insert for my winter bag.

:finger: BUT HERE IS A SUGGESTION and one that I use myself.

I start by viewing the Cabela's page and, in your case, look up sleeping bags (and bivouacs).

Check out the kind of material, the temperature rating, can the bag be washed or does it have to be dry cleaned and view any video they may have on line. Watch the size of the sleeping bag. Zero in on some names and prices and write them down. (You will be amazed at the prices - you don't have to buy the most expensive.)

Check out other Outdoor Stores like Bass Pro etc. then zero in again on what is going to suit your specific needs.

I strongly recommend a pad too.

:) WHEN YOU HAVE DONE YOUR RESEARCH then you can make the purchase. I like doing this sort of thing in the winter (though I am a four season camper) to keep the summer fires burning.

:pompous: CHECK THIS OUT - Go to LL Bean web and check out the TENTSILE STINGRAY THREE PERSON TREE TENT that will get the ol' imagination going.

You can purchase a sleeping bag just about anywhere but I tend to lean toward the pros.

Speaking of sleeping bags I have five different types that would include ones that I use for canoe and winter camping.

Hope this is helpful.

12. actadh

actadh Pathfinder

I have the Biolite stove and really like it. It actually burns better with the accessories on top - the grill or the water pot - since it helps the air flow. But, once you get the hang of starting it, it does burn well. I get wood chunks from Lowes meant for grills - pecan works well.

As far as one man tents, look up the Kamp-Rite in my signature. I like that I can use it alone, or bungee it to a cot, or use it inside of a bigger tent.

Regarding sleeping bags - I just picked up a double sleeping bag that can also be used as a single. I got it as a backup for my travel trailer, but I can use it in my tent as well. It is not a 20-50 degree one even though it is advertised as one, but it is a pretty nice backup warm weather bag. http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Tra...le-Capacity-Rectangular-Sleeping-Bag/35918526

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  13. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Draft saved Draft deleted