1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Mini Wind Turbine

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by kevinkimers, Dec 18, 2014.

1. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Novice Camper

Prompted by the @campforums founder, I am doing a small thread on a mini wind turbine that I am working on. Keep in mind, this is a work in progress and I have not fully got it together as of yet.

I started out with the fan blades of a mini fan I got out of an old computer and I am attaching it to a bicycle generator. Then I am attaching it to a solar battery pack made of 4 AA solar or rechargeable batteries that I made by just taping them together with electrical tap leaving only the tops and bottoms exposed. I am attaching the generator to them using the wires I pulled from a couple of OHM meters we had laying around. I would show you pictures of what I got so far, but I have no way to take pictures at the moment and it is not put together yet. This is just what my plan is. Batteries will go inside the windup flashlight and the fan with generator attaches to the bottom of the flashlight so your hands does not interfere with the fan. Problem is the computer fan is too big. Need to find a smaller fan.

As I said, I'm still working on it.

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Cool, thanks for posting this. I had a different idea in mind when you first mentioned it in that other thread.

I don't quite understand though, wind turbines are supposed to generate electricity from the force of the wind spinning the blades. If this is the case then what is the solar for?

3. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

Maybe I'm not reading this right either. I'm curious how a fan that size is going to turn the generator. The physical resistance to turning them can actually be felt when pedaling. It's slight on a bike but asking a lot from a small fan...

4. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

I am lost on this one, too. I thought that Kimberly meant that she was going to charge the batteries by riding the bike, and the bike generator was attached to the batteries, and then the batteries would run the fan maybe?

But, if that is the case, why put the batteries in a wind-up flashlight ? Is the winding of the flashlight charging the batteries, or the bike generator , or am I just totally off-track with this? Mechanical stuff is just not one of my forte's, not at all. I am trying to picture the sequence in my mind; but it is not working.

5. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...I'm just lost. :(

happyflowerlady likes this.
  6. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Here is a company that might have the parts your looking for for your mini wind turbine generator something or other. Good luck with that idea. Misc.....stuff that no one else can figure out and picture in their minds is what camping babble is all about. Mix matching of parts and pieces makes this forum work. http://www.sciplus.com/

7. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

You and I both, Maybe pictures will clear it up

8. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

Gee thanks. I didn't have enough parts stores bookmarked. Now I gotta go spend more money I don't have. :p

campforums likes this.
  9. campforums

Yeah it looks like a pretty sweet little shop for DIY projects, I've added it to my special bookmarks folder also :)

10. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

campforums likes this.
  11. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Novice Camper

Like I said, I'm still trying to figure it out. Plus, where I live... the winds are pretty strong. Just today it was 38 mph and that is considered a breeze here. LOL

12. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

....I was thinking about you today - happy to see you on line.

13. campforums

Draft saved Draft deleted