1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Moat for shelter protection against ants

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by Alexandoy, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

There was a time when the campsite we chose in the forest was infested by ants. They are actually red and black ants of different sizes. For a camper, the presence of ants is not much of a problem during the waking hours since we are active. But how do you sleep when there is the threat of ants? Well, our solution was to build a moat around the shelter – tent or hover, it is best to be located in the grassy area. After digging a canal around the shelter area, fill it with water and you are safe from ants. Now, if the campsite is far from the water source, that’s a problem.

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...location, location, location. I can't be bothered to do all that stuff - I buy the appropriate tent for the conditions that apply. So...I don't use a one season tent for the winter. I would use a four season. ALL my tents are bug proof [unless you are silly enough to leave the doors open] and I have a system to illuminate all that comes into the tent before I hit the sac.

You have some interesting experiences; ones that we haven't experienced in this country. For one thing, moats are definitely frowned upon as hazardous to the environment. If the location is infested - we move on and look for a better site.

Draft saved Draft deleted