1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Mole Crabs

Discussion in 'Food' started by JoshPosh, Nov 18, 2014.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

Alright, so I've never really eaten these before. But my friends are Filipino and their grandparents loved to cook these while camping. As kids we just loved to catch them and play with them. Thats it. But now watching recipes on Youtube, they look good to eat. Here's a video of how to catch and preparation of mole crabs.

Looks good!!!

2. JessiFox

JessiFox Novice Camper

Hmm....interesting the things you can find on youtube these days, lol, more rare NOT to be able to find something it seems. I've had tons of different kinds of crabs but I don't think I've ever had mole either. I'd be interested to try them though :).

3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

I haven't tried them yet, but I'm up for it. I guess you dip it in some batter and deep fry it. Maybe add some butter garlic sauce and that's it.

4. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

That does look pretty interesting! I asked my husband (the Chef) about whether he had ever heard of eating these. He said that his dad used to catch them on the beach in Florida using a kind of strainer with a longer handle, and scoop them up as the waves carried them along out of the sand.

Apparently, they also make good fishing bait, because he said that most of the bait and tackle shops on theFlorida coast carry them. We used to get the live crawfish, and instead of cleaning them like this video showed, Bobby would put them in a pan of salted water, and it literally purged everything out of the crawfish. This method would probably also work with the mole crabs.

Shrimp and crawfish are often used in gumbo, and I bet these little fellas would be great cooked and eaten in a gumbo, too!!

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  5. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I was looking at the technique they used in the first video to show how to catch the mole crabs which I think can be used to catch a lot of different sea-dwelling animals. I remember being able to catch some small fish that way when I was by the ocean and also craw fish by a lake nearby. The key is to wait for a big wave to wash up against the shore and then as it smoothes out and slowly drains back into the sea you are able to see what got caught in the tide and was washed in. You have to be quick though to grab the crab before the wave washes it back out.

6. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

We use to catch them when I was a kid. But that was just for fun. We used the same technique as the ones in the first video. The only way they can maneuver through the sand is when it is saturated with water. Thats why they come up when the wave hits. We would grab them and throw them on the dry sand. They are immobilized cause the sand is dry. Can't dig into the dry sand.

7. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

It is crazy how different the consistency can be of the sand when it is wet and dry. I remember being on the beach and everyone used to make sand castles by filling a bucket with water and sand then then grabbing a handful of it and letting it drizzle out of your clenched fist. It was sort of the same way you would decorate a cake with icing. It was important to always have the bucked filled with water so that the sand remained completely saturated.

What'd you do with the crabs after you had them stuck in the sand?

Draft saved Draft deleted