1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Moray Eel

Discussion in 'Nature' started by JoshPosh, Nov 17, 2014.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

So Hawaii has a lot of eels. One in particular that does stand out is the Moray Eel. These little boogers are vicious. They can hang out in little ponds near the rock shore area and when they feel like it they can slither away to other locations. I've seen them actually move from spot to spot on the rocks in search of prey in different ponds.

I got close to one while it was on the move. It took one look at me and it lunged at me. That was new. My older brother who is a hardcore skin diver has gotten bit on the hand by Moray Eels on more than one occasion.

How can you not fall in love with that face?

moray_eel_img_2426.jpg

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

You're a little late... Halloween was a couple weeks ago. A mask like that would actually be quite a good costume and as an added bonus you'd get to tell people you are a moray eel when the ask you what you're dressed as.

In all seriousness though, I would not want to run into one of those while I was deep water diving. Where is the rest of your story? So after it lunged at you what happened next? Were you able to get out of the way in time, or did you get a nasty gash?

3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

I didn't get that close to it where it could get me, but I did lunge backwards. It was erie because it looked right into my face when he did it. Like a dog that is going to attack. These guys are vicious.

Draft saved Draft deleted