1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Morning Moo's, delicious milk alternative!

Discussion in 'Food' started by happyflowerlady, Dec 27, 2014.

1. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

For several years, I have been using whey milk either instead of regular milk, or sometimes mixed with powdered milk. Where powdered milk always seems to have a watery taste, and never suits me in my coffee, the whey milk has a nice creamy taste to it. When I first started buying whey milk, it was called Whey Delite, or something similar to that. Now, they call if Morning Moo's, and it is made by Auguson Farms, which is a Utah-based company that makes a great variety of dried or survival foods. Many of these items would be perfect for packing along on a camping trip, as well as for emergency food storage at your home. You can order direct from Auguson Farms, or it is also carried by Amazon,and Walmart also carries the Morning Moo's.

If you are not familiar with Auguson Farms, you might enjoy perusing their website, and they also seem to have some excellent sales on various items.

http://www.augasonfarms.com/Morning-Moo-s-Low-Fat-Milk-Alternative-10-Can-UPC-00946-90901

2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I have tried whey milk and soy milk, but I like almond milk best. I use low-fat dried milk too. Sounds like this brand might be similar to a creamer. I will check it out. Thanks for sharing. Always looking for good food storage items. Forgot to mention canned dried goats milk is good for long term storage as well.

happyflowerlady likes this.
  3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

What is the difference between whey milk and regular? Whey is a part of most dairy (including regular milk) as far as I know. I use powdered whey powder sometimes because it is basically pure protein. A lot of people are lactose intolerant or get indigestion from eating too much dairy so soy or almond milk are good alternatives. I have tried almond milk also, it tastes very good (you can really taste the almonds). I don't know what the advantages/disadvantages for tripping would be. Maybe with something like the powdered kind it would be useful because you don't have to refrigerate it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whey

4. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I had utter milk once - warm and frothy. That was another....only once-in-life time event. :(

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ6YvUeTouKsEUgSpAIf62BB6YvpVzkxG_vcnlG49x0k2CBO9ou.jpg

happyflowerlady likes this.
  5. campforums

Utter milk? I've never heard of it.

6. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

The word is really udder of course.
    It's milk that comes directly from the cow - none pasteurized. It had a slightly different texture, a tad tart, unusual in that I had never had it before and there was something about taking it fresh. Like everything else, it seems, all our food products are packaged and we are accustomed to a particular form that dictates our response.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  7. happyflowerlady

@2sweed, this is different than just going to the store and buying a quart of soy milk. The Morning Moo is actually like powdered milk, and you mix it yourself, so you only have as much as you want. Since it is a powder, it is great to have as an emergency food item, as well as being able to take it along on an overnight camping trip, or even when traveling. The flavor is incredible! Where plain powdered milk is thin and watery tasting, the whey milk is rich, creamy, and delicious. I also use it, either powdered or liquid, as a creamer in my coffee. The flavor is actually closer to Cremora than to powdered milk.

@campforums, this is different than the whey protein powder that you would add to juice or a smoothie. They are both derived from whey, but the whey protein is made to be added to some kind of a drink, whereas the Morning Moo is actually the drink in itself. I have the protein powder also, and have used it to add extra protein in smoothies, and even baked items.

Augason Farms is also having a clearance sale of 40% off of many items right now, and I just ordered several cans of storable food from them. They have a great variety of food that would be easy to carry along on camping trips, and are well worth checking out, in my opinion.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  8. JessiFox

JessiFox Novice Camper

I'm not sure about Whey milk, I suppose I'd give it a try at least once but I don't know how much I'd like it...I don't handle dairy fantastically though so I usually get either almond or soy milk, with almond being my preference.

9. happyflowerlady

When I used soy milk in the past, the brand I preferred was called "Better Than Milk", and it is also a powder and can be stored, or easily carried on camping trips. Personally, I prefer the whey milk; but for soy milk, I think this brand is pretty tasty and nutritious.

I have found that one never knows when a disaster might strike, could be a tornado, ice storm, or just the car breaks down and you can't go to the store. I try to add some storable items whenever I am shopping, and that way I have at least some preparation done , should it be necessary. I just ordered a few more of the large cans of dry powdered foods (soup, chicken bouillon, powdered honey, and another can of whey milk), so those will go into the pantry to add to meals this winter.
    Here is the link for the soy milk.

http://www.btmsoymilk.com

10. campforums

I can vouch for that. I buy my whey powder in bulk (usually 25 lbs at a time) and it lasts me about 1 year taking it everyday and it certainly tastes the same a year later as it did when it was fresh. When you are travelling your options for nutritious food are slightly limited because you don't have long term refrigeration.

Ah, so I guess that explains the pleasant taste you are describing. I actually drink plain chocolate whey powder mixed with water or milk on a regular basis but I can see that some people would be off put but the taste. It certainly tastes better in a smoothie, but then again it only has a few grams of sugar per serving.

I would take a look but I already spent too much on boxing day/black friday!!

Draft saved Draft deleted