1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Mountain Fruits

Discussion in 'Food' started by JoshPosh, Nov 2, 2014.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

Alright, while on the trail in Hawaii there are several natural growing fruits that us locals like to keep an eye out to snack on.

Gwaivi. A little red fruit that has a tangy taste. The older the fruit, the sweeter it gets.
    'Ohelo%20kau%20la'au.jpg

Guava. We all had these before? I think. The green colored ones are under ripe and will be bitter in taste. The yellow ones are sweeter.
    Apple_Guava.jpg

Mountain apple. I didn't have to go to far to get this one. My great grandma had a tree in the back of her yard.
    81fe5c104f290ba75ead14c6fad314230b4b2aa6_607x400.jpg

Passion Fruit or what we call in Hawaii (Lilikoi). You don't eat the skin. Only the insides. Well that's the way I eat it anyways.
    passion-fruit.jpg

happyflowerlady likes this.
  2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

My, it looks like you've got quite a few choices for delicious looking fresh fruits. Some of them look quite similar to fruits I have tried or seen around where I live.
    • Gwaivi: Reminds me of some small red berries that we have all around where I live that grow on bushes. However they are poisonous so I have never tried one.
    • Guava: The outside looks like a Granny Smith apple although it is probably quite different on the inside.
    • Mountain Apple: Those ones look more like Red Delicious apples and I bet they probably taste similar too.
    • Passion Fruit: Looks like a yellow version of pomegranate.

3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

Yeah as a kid we would hike up in the mountains, and would never think of bringing food. There was always something around that was etable. Life was simpler back then. The only thing we worried about was getting back home before it got dark.

I assume you have eaten these fruits before under the name that you know them by. Those are the names that I've been told and used for years.

4. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

Is the Mountain Apple an actual apple, Josh? It really looks like an apple, but thicker on the tree that most apples, more like what we call a crab apple. Crab apples are usually smaller that a regular apple and much more sour that a full-size one. They are fine for making jams or apple pie, because you use sugar to sweeten it, but they are not taste when you just eat one. Even when they are ripe, crab apples taste like a green apple.

Last summer, I was out in the woods with my daughter (Robin the Explorer) and we found some wild plum trees. They are small for trees, and not bushy enough to be called a bush; and the wild plums are just a little larger than a cherry, but they taste delicious! We brought some home to eat, and also dug up a few of the smaller trees, and I have planted them in the yard; hopefully they will grow. Some of them are a pretty yellow color, and others are red and gold.

image.jpg

5. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

^ Those plums or whatever they are look super juicy! The ones I get are usually more of a purple color but I guess they come in many varieties or maybe those are just less ripe. You have to be careful though when you are eating wild fruits because many of them are partially rotten or infested with insects, that is the trade-off you get when there are no pesticides.

6. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

These little wild plums are a lot different from the large purple plums that are sold in the stores, @campforums. The cultivated plums are at least as big as a golf ball (usually even larger) whereas these wild ones are more like a large cherry in size, and grow thick on the tree. The flavor and texture is about the same as on the larger varieties of plums though. These are fully ripe, and they are the reddish-gold variety. The others are more of an orange gold color, but the size and taste is identical.

Most of the wild fruit that I have had (apples, pears, cherries, plums and grapes) are smaller than their cultivated counterparts, and the taste is usually nowhere near as sweet, although the plums are delicious! I have not had any more problems with wild fruit having worms or bugs than fruit grown in an orchard, and these plums certainly didn't have any bugs. I am hoping that they will produce a larger fruit when they are growing in my yard, since I will be able to keep them watered in the heat of summer.

7. kevinkimers

kevinkimers Novice Camper

Wow Josh, great information and pictures. Now if I am ever in that area I will know what to look for. I am interested in those mountain apples the most.... are they sweet or bitter? Is that their name or the name the locals call them, maybe they are known by another name? I have never seen them before and so I am very curious about them. I love apples.

Draft saved Draft deleted