1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Mummy bag to blanket conversion

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by killeroy154, Oct 22, 2017.

1. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I purchased a military mummy bag last year, so I could see if I liked that type of bag, plus it was inexpensive. It was plenty warm, but I don't like being constrained in it. I've decided to turn it into a blanket. So I started with a seam ripper to cut the threads for the zipper..... yeh right. Scissors worked better. I removed zipper, snaps, velcro, hood and military tag on round foot bed. Ready to sew edges. Time to dig out the old sewing machine. Because i had every thing spooled up with heavy coat thread from a previous project, I had to refill another bobbin with a lighter polyester thread. Wow time gets away when doing camping projects. I'll finish tomorrow. 278711ca16057438ce7b35cc34f4266e.jpg 07f57fe8ec416864d314f0fc2cde5012.jpg d81a5215d893a661ab46acde05c3f54b.jpg ded7ed7b3af6d5bc03bd9162177588e6.jpg a30f600a4f2c45f81a06416e4062dde1.jpg bc5afc86cf9de3baa4b956d0944b232a.jpg

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I woke up to a rainy afternoon, so good time to finish. All I had left to do was stich the edges. This type of nylon material presented it's own difficulty when sewing. I did get my finger under the needle tightning screw on the downward stroke ouch..... that finger did had a cuss word in it that I won't repeat. My living room looked like a Frosty the snowman murder scene because of all the pieces of white polyfill everywhere. I'll get more use out of it as a blanket. c8fd1dbceed75b73e812d26f47db27f4.jpg c5b4e2d5d2821644b9252bc9071daec2.jpg 7fe7a17c08370997be0d4cb21de491e7.jpg

Northern Dancer likes this.
  3. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

I haven't seen a mummy bag but my idea of it is similar to a sleeping bag where you zip yourself with only your head that is left out. I'm not comfortable with it that I feel claustrophobic. I would rather use a comforter or a heavy blanket.

4. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Yes sir, I don't like being that confined. Mummy bags pack small and are a great way to stay warm, but you have to be able to sleep with out sprawling out. I use that converted bag more now than I did before.

5. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...@killeroy154 you are so clever!
    I agree - I'm not one for climbing back into the womb. I find, even the "best" of the mummy bags constricting. Hmmm...is this an age thing or what? @Alexandoy - you might not be able to get away with a comforter or heavy blanket when the temperature drops to - 10 or lower.

I really like picking up on your various projects @killeroy154 - you provide me with inspiration. The only thing that I've made of recent date was a wood box for my tent firewood. Nothing particularily skillful, but fun.

6. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I like being creative. I saw my grandson fumbling around with a plastic drawing ruler thingy with round and octagon slots when he was over one day. Well, he just gave it a twist and broke it in half. I didn't like that. I asked him if he could make one like that, and if he could how? It's easy to break things. I know can afford some better things, but I enjoy the challenge and the learning experience of making, or screwing up trying to make, things. Besides, putting money back for retirement.

7. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I have an idea that you may think the way I do sometimes. When I'm wandering through a store I find myself saying on occasion, "I can make that." But somehow I never seem to get around to it. Awe yes, retirement - don't forget to put some thought into what you are going to be doing with your time each day. That"s important too.

Draft saved Draft deleted