1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

My "I GOT LOST" bag...

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by Northern Dancer, May 16, 2015.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I planned to be on the trail for a short time, I knew where I was and the terrain was familiar. But I had trail confusion and took the wrong turn. When I realized that I headed back - but missed the trail that I should have taken. So a two hour stroll became an eight hour event (but not an ordeal). I had a hydration device (remember when we called it a water bottle?) but that was all. Finally (without panic) I figured out where I was and headed back. When I got back someone asked, "I thought you were going out for a few hours?" "Well...I...err...sort of felt the urge to do more...cough cough."

If I'm Hiking I Take My Survival Pack - even if I know the terrain.
    It's small, compact and can be really helpful IF... I've only had two IFS in my outdoor adventures but none-the-less I take my Survival Kit.

This is what it looks like.
    [Keep in mind everyone has their own ideas about what they take.]

35nalv6.jpg

My Survival Pack and My Survival Knife
    My knife is the new improved Gerber Survival Knife that I always wear.
    The knife can be used as a hammer, able to cut down small trees, has a fire starter,
    is durable and strong.
    It also has a little Survival Booklet.
    It is designed so you can use it as a spear head.

Now what's in the Pack?

jil3bd.jpg
    Small pack, attached whistle and bug repellent, fire starter, space blanket, toilet paper [of all the survival packs I've seen I've never seen toilet paper - no, I'm not using poison ivy to wipe...], 20 feet of cord, sling shot with 50 rounds of ammunition, compass, wet wipes, a mirror for signalling (and I can look at it and talk to myself if I need company.) flash light, (survival knife - as mentioned), smaller knife, pad and pencils, and a poncho. I also carry three nutrition bars and the first aid pack contains tablets for purifying water.

COMING UP

:cool: WHAT'S A BUG OUT BAG? :cool:

:beaver: HUG A TREE PROGRAM :beaver:
    SPONSORED BY THE
    RCMP
    ROYAL CANADIAN MOUNTED POLICE

[In this country]

upload_2015-5-16_17-26-25.jpeg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS9h8MN4BAzyBftSD8mjhW4rt67bVwBMQzmc56812FxBZDeBaVMmA.jpg

LET'S BE READY FOR SUMMER CAMPING FUN

saint_518 likes this.
  2. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

Many campers underestimate how useful survival kits are, you wouldn't know the value until you are faced with a life or death scenario.

I think a pocket knife is one of the most important things to have, even if you don't carry a survival kit with you.

saint_518 likes this.
  3. Northern Dancer

@BMWPOWER I agree. Like thousands of others I have a Swiss Army knife, or two, or three - alright I have four of them. :(

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I am wondering, what do you use the slingshot for?

I personally prefer the knives like the big one you have or if it is a folding kind then it should only have one blade and be at least a couple inches long. The smaller ones or the swiss army knives with dozens of gizmos I find tend to be flimsy and too small to be of any use when I'm camping.

5. Northern Dancer

@campforums The slingshot can be used to bring down small game - squirrels, rabbits, and doves etc. It can be used to scar away night creatures if necessary. I agree with you on the Swiss army - the ones that I have don't have a lot of tools - I always thought them silly.

campforums likes this.
  6. campforums

I'd be really impressed if I ever saw someone do that, in my limited experience with slingshots they are pretty hard to aim. Especially at a quick moving squirrel at a distance.

7. Northern Dancer

@campforums True. You certainly have to practice [starting with a target first] then move on. Picking up on a rabbit or a dove can be tricky - just trying to find them is a job. But the squirrels are everywhere. If the truth is to be told - those energy bars better keep my energy up until health arrives.

sampesty likes this.
  8. campforums

How does squirrel taste? :beaver:

I imagine it'd be similar to archery in how you would have to learn to anticipate the correct trajectories.

9. Northern Dancer

@campforums Actually, you can now buy slingshots that can project arrows too. The commercial slingshot is deadly accurate.

I proudly announce that I have never eaten squirrel or rabbit. I did have a Mallard duck dinner once [one that was brought down]. Felt as guilty as sin - Mallards mate for life - somewhere out there is a single Mallard without a spouse. :chicken:

campforums likes this.
  10. sampesty

sampesty Newbie

Can you recommend any Sling shots?

11. saint_518

saint_518 Novice Camper

Awesome! Nice little setup.

campforums likes this.
  12. campforums

If anyone has a setup to be admired it is @Northern Dancer

13. Northern Dancer

There are basically two kinds of sling shots - play and hunting
    . If you are looking for a hunting or a more serious type sling shot there are as numerous as guns. (I had trouble saying that last word.) But some people do use them for small game. The one that I have is rather simple but very powerful as I came to discover. Some folks have made their own as the sling part can be purchased independently.

I do not recommend any as it really becomes a matter of choice and what you plan to do with the same.

To start you may want to look at these -

Barnett Pro or Cobra
    Daisey Power-line
    Marksman Pocket Hunter

These are only a few - there are many. You will find them surprisingly inexpensive.

So where? You can start with Cabela's, Bass Pro and other outdoor supply stores. You can get them in other places too. And yes the net is a marvelous tool that we can use to hunt out products.

Hope that is helpful.

sampesty and campforums like this.
  14. Northern Dancer

What's a Bug Out Bag coming soon! :cool:

15. sampesty

sampesty Newbie

Thanks!

16. JessiFox

JessiFox Novice Camper

Love this post, great that you included some pictures and examples, too. It never hurts to be ready for anything ;) though I'm not sure I would include a slingshot, personally. lol

campforums likes this.
  17. campforums

@sampesty Let us know if you end up getting one! :)

Draft saved Draft deleted