1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

My Nearest Retreat

Discussion in 'Trails' started by gracer, Aug 25, 2016.

1. gracer

gracer Explorer

Hi guys! :)

I want to talk about my nearest camping and hiking destination which only takes around a 10 minute walk from our house to get to the foot of the mountain. This is a popular hiking and camping destination in my area because it can easily be accessed from the city, instead of having to travel for long hours to experience nature. This mountain is called Mount Cabuyao in the Philippines. This is my usual go to place whenever I would feel the need for a hike and some bonding with nature:

1a.JPG
    Photo courtesy of pinoysolohiker.blogspot.com

killeroy154 likes this.
  2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...........................................................> :joyful:

Luck...ie BUT I'm happy to go the distance to reach the winding rivers where the moose, deer, beaver, otter, turtle, and a whole host of fowl and other creatures play.

:bear: I'm back - been in the wilderness don't you know. Baden Bear here , Northern Dancer just has to get away from the city city city even though there are excellent parks, trails and camping places within minutes. of his home on the Grand River.

gracer likes this.
  3. Northern Dancer

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTnq9Z22VocBpNzCs4gXRgHl-961UM8RX9ETzFDDEtRr4NXcmJdCg.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRi8z1A81GyDTVAugiSMbAkn-dSGpCHZYWR7lvTAfZDO-CgdB-62Q.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTgJsNz9yiNy8yZdBxv4D8y_SKDeqLQ7XMLsUKf1V-zIrcfZ3yP.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRYkKfbDC_IObf78jS0VF1YKNgJ5jLv0yx_UxHNEGLElEoi2z-l.jpg

...my neck of the woods. The Grand River strolls through our city and takes us to other communities and out to the Lake Ontario.

gracer likes this.
  4. gracer

gracer Explorer

Wow! You have such a beautiful area @Northern Dancer. You're so lucky to be living near all those wonderful places. :) From the looks of it, they're a great retreat from the hustle and bustle of the city. These are good places to just sit back, relax, and feel the wonderful works of nature.

5. Northern Dancer

...like many communities there are established trails along the river and places one can picnic. There are even a few portage places established by private land owners for canoeists who are going down the Grand.

[ images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRH2VcoUTXsIsezCPPv8g8CMUybHmhcbOJZoEHd09bvFBXvRwq1.jpg Check out the Longest Trail on the Planet (Canada)

gracer and killeroy154 like this.
  6. gracer

gracer Explorer

You're really lucky to have good support from your community and private land owners. There are also some places here with established trails but most trails are made by voluntarily made by trekkers as they make their way towards their destinations. It's also a plus that private land owners support outdoor enthusiasts in your area. :)

7. Northern Dancer

...interesting point you make about private land owners supporting outdoor pursuits. That's very true. I hadn't thought much about that - it's easy to take things for granted. That's the problem about free gifts - they often lack any value from the people receiving them.

Certainly in this neck of the woods we are really blessed with a whole host of programs and trails that are open to everyone.

8. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

I also prefer a hike with the water as the main target . After walking uphill, isn't it the best time to take a dip? But that is not to lessen the enjoyment of walking up a mountain trail. I also enjoy the sights and the animals that I see. That's why the digital camera is already an extension of my hand.

9. rz3300

rz3300 Explorer

It is always a little better when you do have that end place to arrive at, and I would agree that a nice body of water is nice to look forward to. It makes me miss my last home where there was a nice river perfect distance away, but oh well.

Draft saved Draft deleted