1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Necessities

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by pharrmgirl, May 4, 2018.

1. pharrmgirl

pharrmgirl Newbie

I'm making plans to do some backwoods camping next weekend. It will be about a mile hike, some up a pretty steep hunting road. What necessities should I take? I have lots of gear and am having a hard time cutting things out.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

To be helpful. The following list has been altered to provide you with some suggestions. :)

START BY MAKING A LIST OF YOUR NEEDS

LICENSES, PERMITS ETC.
    To be able to camp in organized spaces if needed.
    SHELTER
    Which includes tent and/or wind shelter of some sort.
    For some it might include a camping hammock.
    Rain gear especially an umbrella.
    Clothing - including warm jacket, hat/touque as needed.

SLEEPING SYSTEM
    That would include a sleeping bag of choice and a sleep pad.
    FOOD
    Self prepared or purchased accordingly.
    STOVE
    Small stove or make one that can utilize twigs taken from the ground.
    Fire lighters for campfires.
    Utensils and small cooking pots including fold down sink to wash dishes etc.
    Mess kit.

MEDICATIONS
    If so needed.
    TOILETRY KIT
    Personal hygiene stuff and
    Latrine spade and protected toilet paper.
    Camp towel and wash cloth.

WATER
    Canteen and Water Filtration System.
    SAFETY ITEMS
    That could/would include head light, bear spray if in bear country, outdoor whistle and first aid kit.
    OTHER
    Your camera - to share your experience with Camping Babble.
    Because you are travelling in steep terrain - I strongly recommend a walking staff
    and good hiking boots.
    An excellent back pack designed - in your case - for a woman. (There is a deference.)

CONTACT PERSON INFORMATION
    Trip/hike specifics to be logged and presented to contact person.
    That is to say let a person(s) know where you are - when you plan to come back.
    AND instructions if you fail to return on time.
    Information should describe your car and provide license plate and location parked
    and list the people you are going with.

upload_2018-5-4_21-18-25.png

Is this helpful not helpful?

T140 and pharrmgirl like this.
  3. pharrmgirl

pharrmgirl Newbie

This is perfect!!! It's just what I needed. Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4. Northern Dancer

-----> Glad to be of help. ND

pharrmgirl likes this.
  5. Alexandoy

Alexandoy Survivalist

I guess the list above is almost complete. But I would suggest that you bring a long rope just in case you will need to tie something. When we go camping, I always have that thin nylon rope of about 10 yards, it's very handy with the tent or even for other purposes. And it's not a bother to bring since it is not heavy.

Northern Dancer likes this.
  6. Northern Dancer

...excellent suggestion @Alexandoy and I do that too. I need sufficient rope for my canoe and for lifting my food barrel into the height of the trees.

7. rz3300

rz3300 Explorer

I bet that rope is one that probably gets left off of a list here or there, and I have probably been guilty of that. When you think about things that are versatile and trusty though you would be hard pressed to come up with a better choice.

8. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I always take 50 feet of the paracord. It packs small and always gets used in some way. I keep several lengths of rope, and a couple of rachet straps in my truck all the time. I've been using the same pieces of rope, for tieing my canoe down, for the past ten years. I singed the ends and learned a couple of good knots that can be untied. The bow line, half hitch, and truckers loop knots is all I need.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

9. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Oh hey pharrmgirl, did you get to take that trip last month?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Draft saved Draft deleted