1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

New 1 liter pot modification

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by killeroy154, Oct 17, 2016.

1. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I purchased this 1.1 liter pot a couple of days ago to replace an old aluminum one that had, some time many years ago, a worn out Teflon coating and fixed handle. 4de5155471ea74d38c956c2397ce050f.jpg Now here's my problem and questions if anyone has done this? Can I heat a spot on the brim and beat a functional pour spot into it, and still be able to use the lid? I am hoping to use it to also replace my coffee pot. Right now it pours water like a 5 month old baby dribbles apple sause.

2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Ok. I tried. I wanted to be able to pour liquid from my pot. I whittled a piece of oak and cut a notch in a block of wood, sort of like a die set. 3db203c02697455ead6d1f63fb80e9ea.jpg I used my little pack stove, which worked very well, and heated the small area to be shaped. 4b8599aa3c5f8067e978b83d597e1868.jpg Then I put it on the block and beat on it with matching block. b548ff1e61a8a74b444abeedff99b4b9.jpg . Still not right b91f527ff4c77b351994fa2da0a9c4b1.jpg Any ideas is more than welcome.

3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...a man of perseverance and determination - I would have chuck it and bought new. But - then again you are a man up for the challenge.

4. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

It is a new msr 1.1 liter stainless. I thought it would pour water out nicely. What I am trying to achieve is carrying this pot and my frying pan. The perk coffee pot is to large and only serves 1 purpose, and it would be hard to make stuff like redbeans and rice and things like that in it.

I will not go without my coffee.

5. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...I don't go without my coffee either and I definitely never leave my cast iron skillet at home. :)

6. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Very nice, a lip like that helps a lot when you are trying to pour something slowly.

When I saw the wood blocks and you mention fixing the handle I thought you were going to be making a wood handle for your pot. It sort of gave me an idea of my own :watching:

7. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Well I have to admit it didn't turn out as well as I hoped, but it is a slight improvement. I'll study more on it. Camping trip in under 3 weeks. I need to get with it.

8. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Let us know how it works out, it may prove to be a popular mod!

9. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I'll be heading out camping on Thursday. I am hoping it works or I am going to spill hot water in my tent while attempting to make coffee.

Has been quiet on here lately.

10. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Well... I didn't work out all that great. It is better, but I did get a little water in the floor of the tent.

Draft saved Draft deleted