1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

New for 2016...

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by Northern Dancer, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Micro-lanterns to foldable shades…
    take a trip inside the halls of the Outdoor Retailer trade show,
    held last week in Utah, for an exclusive look at gear coming to market in 2016.

:)

GEAR JUNKIE
    The latest up-to-date information
    on just about everything outdoors.

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

You went all the way to Utah for the trade show?! Or just observe online? Did you add any items to your wish list?

3. Northern Dancer

I wish :)

2016 List - let's see.....a new canoe chair that goes over the seat (that's a confirmed), I think I need/want a bigger canoe barrel, I'm looking for wrap around sun glasses (the kind that go over regular glasses). I think that is about it - I have equipment overload, so I'm being cautious when it comes to purchasing anything.

The only weird thing is/are those red eye lights designed to repel bears. I plan to do more solo camping and though I have a solid bear plan I've been hearing about these special lights that have an effect on bears.

Oh...ya....looking for a lab to train for summer adventures.

:bear: Baden Bear says, "Northern Dancer is really missing his canine companion."

4. campforums

Does the canoe seat allow you to sit down fully? or is it still more of a kneeling sit like normal canoeing is.

Sun glasses are on my list too, I don't really like wearing them but sometimes it is really sunny out and I feel like I should be protecting my eyes more before I regret it.

I don't know much about those light, I'm sure you will do your diligent research :thumbsup:

Have you always had labs?

5. Northern Dancer

For the most part I sit in a canoe - so I was looking for a a seat that provides back support. I have an eye on one at MEC. I usually kneel for inclement weather or choppy open stretches of water.

I find the sun reflecting off the water can bother me on a really sunny days - that's why I'm looking for the wrap around. They are out there somewhere, I just haven't been exploring enough.

I've usually stay with Labs, though on occasion research other breeds. For the most part I haven't found a breed that fits into my life style other than the Lab; I know them well.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTOnN-j4NrjsHTxRHuqv3hmXprLgNEc3CLxua9x-aZZmcrUqquVPA.jpg At the International Centre

upload_2016-1-24_23-5-37.jpeg March 16 - 20 at the International Centre

So many shows and so few dollars. :( But I can look! :)

6. campforums

That makes sense, I also find the more gear you are hauling the lower the canoe sits in the water and the more stable it is (although harder to paddle).

Oh so you don't just want regular sunglasses but the ones the close off at the sides also?

It's good to stick with what you know I suppose, I am looking forward to seeing pictures of the new puppy.

7. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

I was wondering also about the red LED lights. I figured they would give the bear a better chance finding me. I'll be missing and the search team would find the red lights in some bear scat. Ha. I don't worry about the black bears to much in this area it's the snakes I keep an eye out for.....yeah I am wuss. There was one incident last year, on the north Carolina side of the smokeys, where a father and son were backpack camping, and a black bear malled the son when he was sleeping in a hammock. The son lived, and the bear was caught and put down. It was a rare situation. This happened I think last may 2 weeks before I went camping on the other side of the mtn. I don't know if I would like a bear hunting me, and I sure don't want to walk up and surprise one. I have read some stories of polar bears following people up north.

8. Northern Dancer

The first defense in bear care is to know all about the bear and its behaviour. Most people don't and rely on a lot of data posted by ignorant persons. I STRONGLY RECOMMEND TO MY COLLEAGUES - "Going into bear country?" Take the short course and be properly informed.

Bears use their senses - they not looking for flags, lights, make and model of cars etc and they are not interested in your bank account. Food! That's what they are after. :)

campforums likes this.
  9. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Yes that's true. I know keeping a clean camp, food and stuff sealed up, but what about coolers or are those just a bad choice? Do you hang your barrels or do they seal tight enough that what ever residual smell that may be lingering isn't enough to matter? Luckily the only problems I have had were raccoons raiding my camp. I slept right through it.

10. Northern Dancer

I really enjoy communicating with you killerroy154. :) I would like to know more about your camping experience.

I have had bears come through camp and on one occasion I observed a black bear checking out the kitchen shelter. It's fascinating to watch these majestic creatures and observe their behaviour. There was nothing in camp that would reward his search. He got wind of my scent, saw me and without further ado he was off and running.

Regular coolers are useless. (When I'm canoe camping I don't use a cooler - I don't need one.) You can (and I certainly wouldn't) purchase the bear proof cooler. (Damn expensive.) I tend to do as you suggest - squeaky clean and decidedly neat camp site. When canoe camping in bear country I clean food areas down with bleach or pine sol; burn food stuffs and garbage in a hot fire. I wash out cans, flatten them and put them into a container and store with food stuffs.

I use a barrel (but they are not considered bear proof unless design to be so) to hang up in the tree - with bear bell and night light attached.

Keep in mind that regular bears do not forage at night - bears who are familiar and not afraid of humans will.

But...I really haven't had any trouble with bears. You are right on when you identify the racoon - they don't wear a mask for nothing. In our area we have had a problem with rabies.

And, oh yes - the mice can do some hefty damage more so than the average camper realizes. In fact I would be more concerned with mice than bears.

There are no poisonous snakes in my neck of the woods so I haven't worried about that issue. The only dangerous snake in the Province of Ontario is the Eastern Massasauga Rattle snake.

Bugs can be a problem.

11. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Thanks for putting up with me. I don't get out there often enough, and reading what people post about camping experiences and equipment is very enjoyable for me.

campforums likes this.
  12. Northern Dancer

...same here - my colleagues get tired of my camp talk and like you I like reading the posts. Though, I'm very active and will be absent for most of the summer camping and canoeing and getting away from it all sort of speak. :)

killeroy154 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted