1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

New Tent Arrived!

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by 2sweed, May 21, 2014.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

The new tent arrived tonight. It is a week early, guess they figured I might need it for the holiday at end of month. But it is raining again so I think I will wait for a dry weekend to go. Out of the box it will be soon and then practice setting it up and down begins. I need to find our cots and other camping equipment now and get organized. :singing::happy::happy:

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Congratulations...it's always fun to open a parcel; especially when you were not expecting it to arrive so early. Sounds like you are off to a good start. :) Absolutely!

3. 2sweed

It always amazes me how big tents can be put into such small carrying cases. I mean how they get the poles and everything to fit so compact is beyond me. I am expecting once the zipper is open for it to spring out of the bag or else be jammed in super tight. Well I shall let you all know how well it goes when it quits raining. :)

Speaking of rain many towns in low-lying areas got flooded badly during a bad strong rainstorm Wed night. Luckily no one got hurt, but many were displaced to shelters do to flood waters. :(

4. Northern Dancer

Often manufacturers of tents [and other products] use the case as packing device and not a carrying device that we would like to have.

My answer? I get a different bag that will accommodate the tent making it much easier. I use the tent bag for carrying something else. Some of my tents are heavy so I divide the weight to make the bundles lighter. Just make sure you pack all the bundles.

Water is a mighty force to contend with. Water, Wind and Fire can be ferocious, reminding me I'm not as big and powerful as I sometimes think that I am. I trust that you and your property are unscathed.

5. 2sweed

Yes, I live in a town that is on top of a mountain range, thus we do not get flooded but do have the danger of tornado's and wind storms.

6. Northern Dancer

I have experience wind storms - they seem to be increasing of recent date.

7. 2sweed

I agree.
    By the way I ask you a question in the Best Type of Tent posting, about tent pegs and etc.. :)

8. Northern Dancer

I'm a bit sketchy... however. I prefer steel if I can because they are more durable. True they are heavier but I still like them. I never use plastic and I definitely do not use a plastic mallet. I change those slender nail looking pegs for something more sturdy. Posting depends of the wind direction, safety factors like dead limb above, what drainage etc. I'm I on track?

9. 2sweed

Yes, and what type of cording to you use? You said you changed out the tie downs on your tents as well, so what do you suggest that makes them more weather durable?
    :)

10. Northern Dancer

It's really a preference for me. The manufacturer's material is okay - but as you know I like to be different. I use an American product - and I can't recall the name at the moment. It comes in all kinds of sizes and thicknesses. I like the colours too; that first attracted me to the rope. In this neck of the woods it's about $7.99 for 100 feet.

I use the Coghlan's guy line slides because I like the size and colour yellow. I don't use any of this stuff on my Alaknaks. On occasion I make my own and paint my own symbols on them - sort of a camp activity on a rainy day.

11. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

It sounds like you replaced a whole bunch of things on your tent. Are there any tents you know of that don't require swapping parts?

12. Northern Dancer

Yes...I have three Alaknaks and that is one tent that I wouldn't change a thing. As you know I have two, four season and one, three season. Excellent tents in every way that have stood strong and tall against every storm or water, wind and snow. Though expensive, it is a tent that I have never regretted purchasing.

HAPPY 121 BIRTH DAY ALGONQUIN PARK :finger:

13. 2sweed

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ALGONQUIN PARK , for lasting 121 years. AND MANY MORE.......!! Go get your party hats on and grab the cool drinks and lets sit around the tents and campfire singing lots of cheery songs.

fire 2.jpg party goers.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted