1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Old Fashioned Bedroll & Haversack Camping

Discussion in 'Shelter' started by 2sweed, Feb 20, 2016.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Camping was a different adventure in 1877 or even in the early 1900's. Often all you carried was a bedroll and a canvas or cloth tarp. But I think learning the old ways can inspire us to use some of the old ways with our modern inventions. Watch these video's to add to your knowledge of the true camping experience.

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I don't think it was thought of in the same way, they mostly did it due to the lack of hotels and infrastructure available while travelling from place to place I think

Although I'm sure there was some recreational stuff that happened too

3. Faust

Faust Explorer

Actually it was prominently recreational because you have to camp if you were hunting or fishing for sport, Forest and Stream was a recreational outdoors magazine founded in the late 1800's. A writer for the magazine known as "Nessmuk" wrote a book published in 1920 that was a camping how-to guide.

campforums likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted