1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Old-time camping trip at Yellowstone Park

Discussion in 'United States' started by happyflowerlady, Jan 16, 2015.

1. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

This is an amazing article and picture of a company back in the early 1900's that took people on camping trips into Yellowstone Park. The trip cost about $250, which would be close to $5000 in today's economy.
    I had no idea that they would even do this kind of a vacation trip back then.
    People already had to travel by horse and buggy most of the time anyway; but I guess, even so, a camping trip was a lot of fun.
    I am having trouble adding the text article, will try to add it as a picture. Sorry.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 17, 2015
    MacGyver likes this.
  2. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I would imagine that back then, even more so than today, if you went into the wilderness having a guide and protection from the wildlife was very much needed. Often the rich would use these trips for entertainment, as most could not afford the fee. I know that in Pa., they took the train rides across the Kinzua Bridge, back in the hay day just for an interesting days outing with picnic included.

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

If you have a link to the article, I can see if I can help with uploading it as text instead of an image. Thanks for sharing :)

happyflowerlady likes this.
  4. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

I'd like to see a company revive that kind of trip. I could easily see me traveling in a covered wagon and sleeping in a teepee.

happyflowerlady likes this.
  5. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

It actually came from a page that I follow on Facebook, called Who Knows East- Old Photographs.
    I couldn't get the text to copy and paste; so I just took a screenshot, cropped the edges off of it so that just the article was left, and then attached it as a file.
    Even after I took the screenshot, it would not let me copy it, for some reason. At least it turned out okay and everyone can read it.
    If anyone knows a better way to do it, I am listening. Guruette, I am not.

6. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

You can use your mouse to move the cursor to the beginning of the text then move the mouse down to highlight the text then either right click to copy or hit ctrl+c to copy.
    OR - you can right click on the page and Select All or ctrl+A, then ctrl+c to copy. That option will give you more text than you want, so you then copy it all into a notepad and edit it down to what you want. Might sound complicated, but it becomes routine the more you do it.

happyflowerlady and campforums like this.
  7. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Thanks @MacGyver, I edited it into the original post :)

8. MacGyver

MacGyver Survivalist

You're welcome. I wondered about that for a second. Wondered where the rest went. :)

9. Very cool! I have been wanting to camp in Yellowstone. This is a cool old picture!

Draft saved Draft deleted