1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Old Time Switchel Drink Mix

Discussion in 'Food' started by 2sweed, May 29, 2014.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Hay Time Switchel

Ingredients :
    1 c. light brown sugar
    1 c. apple vinegar
    1/2 c. light molasses
    1 tbsp. ginger
    2 qts. cold water

Preparation :
    Combine and stir well. This can be refrigerated, but old timers
    made it with cool spring water, and drank it while making hay for a
    good energy restorer in the hot weather

Do you remember this drink? It was used by many ole timers before Gatorade was invented. It provided the hydration with electrolytes, to keep men able to work hard outside during making hay or other outdoor labors. My mother remembers as a young girl this mix being made and brought out to her father as they worked in the fields.

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

This is the first time I've had to post something negative about any of the recipes I've seen posted, but honestly that sounds quite nasty!! :yuck: I think I'd much rather just go with the Gatorade lol

3. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

That actually doesn't seem bad, Looks to be a healthy drink. Cant comment on taste, but it looks to be sweet.

If you think this is bad, Gatorade is much worse

4. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

It is all a matter of taste and there are many different recipes for it. Kind of like drinking ginger beer or root-beer, that is homemade. Tastes different then store bought stuff.
    I made homemade spearmint tea this week and it is really good, cold and refreshing. As I said this was a drink used by people in the late 1800's through the early 1930's and up, and it was considered a good energy and replenishing drink. That does not mean we all would want to drink it now. :wacky::cool:

Draft saved Draft deleted