1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Once Around Algonquin... Provincial Park

Discussion in 'Canada' started by 2sweed, Dec 24, 2014.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I hope this is the proper place to share this trip taken by two very experienced men, Kevin and Andy, who share their trip through and up the waterways and wilderness Algonquin areas with their canoe. Part of the trip is paddling and a lot of it is walking and carrying the canoe and gear. It is very entertaining and funny and I enjoyed watching the entire series parts 1-5. I hope you will comment on the video's. I bet @ Dancer, knows some if not all of these people who work at the park. I looked for him and Reese, but no luck. Well here goes.......

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Yep...I've met Kevin. He teaches environmental science at Sir Sandford Fleming College in Peterborough Ontario. (Fleming is the man who gave us international time zones.) I've been fortunate enough to be in Kevin's presence on occasion. He is witty in every way and he knows his stuff far better than people often give him credit.

ALGONQUIN - I love the place. I'm planning to spend the greater part of my camping/canoeing time there this summer. The Provincial Park still has the best price, great opportunities and is about a half day's journey from my front door.

:bear: He really does have a thing with this place and was a member of the Friends of Algonquin.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTTP33Zped48t9zfSSZOzY03HUzla0FXIuPi53p-GB9hytvQOoUFA.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSvabB6cBZRd9MupX4QQRbnc5SY2N7ezHwkwADUyMkqpTBpjdey.jpg
    Sir Sandford Fleming College the teaching home of Kevin Callan

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Ah, it seems like the videos were produced by the staff of Algonquin Outfitters? I have bought a few things there before, I didn't know they had employee camping trips haha.

4. Northern Dancer

There is a very definite Algonquin culture.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  5. 2sweed

Thanks for sharing the added info about Kevin Callan, and the collage. I thought it was a good idea about the employee camping trips. If your helping to send others out into the water ways and wilderness the experience would be educational for any brave employee. It is my understanding that all of them are to take the same route that Kevin and Andy, took which seems to be counter-clock wise to standard ways of use. At the first part of the journey everyone they met said hey your going the wrong way. So it seems that if you take the trip in this fashion and survive the elements then you are added to the list of trip top notch trophy list at the park.

Did you :bear: know anyone else along the entire trip route? I know the park is huge so knowing all might be impossible. Naming names not necessary. I think Andy would be a fun guy to know, who knows may be he will join the forum. lol :)

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  6. Northern Dancer

As I mentioned earlier there is a definite Algonquin Culture and there are several character types in the Park. I have met some on occasion at park functions and promotions. You might be interest to know that we have the unsolved death of artist Tom Thomson at Canoe Lake. There have been other famous artists that have taken residence from time to time including Ken Danby and Robert Bateman - they are artists known for their life like paintings. There is an exclusive art gallery in the park and regular art classes are taught. The park is also a home base for some world famous camps like Ahmek, Tanamakoon, and Walpole to name a few. Algonquin is to us like Great Smokey Mountains, Yosemite, and Yellowstone are to you.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTdMwB9F5GPOwDJ0aZgqG-9RaUU0o9qzoYlNbfNJD57WTaQWf8N6Q.jpg by Ken Danby images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQJvEvuzR3BUyh9IFsX3L-tUnfw32llEWdkFbpF1KmaiDTOy6WZ.jpg Art Centre

Last edited: Dec 31, 2014
    campforums likes this.
  7. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

This discussion is just a reminder for me what a small world it is, @2sweed just comes across a video and @Northern Dancer happens to have met one of the people in it. What are the odds?

Yeah I guess now that I think about there are probably a lot of people who come into their shop looking to do something for the first time or exploring a new area and looking for pointers. If employees are more knowledgeable that's one the few reasons you might actually have to go into a shop rather than to browse for deals online.

I think you will agree that there are characters everywhere if you look hard enough. I have found that if you are new to a community you don't really notice as many of them because people really let their weird side out once they get to know you :p

I couldn't agree more, the only other Canadian national park which rivals Algonquin in reputation would probably be Banff

8. 2sweed

I agree it is a small world, or makes Canada, seem a bit smaller just knowing @Dancer, actually knew Kevin & others from the video. But then he is a very likable guy and loves to talk so knowing that he might know more of the people scattered throughout the Canadian wilderness. Where is Banff? Does the Algonquin Outfitters, have a online store? Not that I could order anything from up there your shipping rates are terrible to and from the US. :eek:

9. Northern Dancer

I've been to Banff [a National Park] which is a considerable distance from Algonquin. Breathe taking. I was stationed in Thunder Bay so I decided to take some holiday time and explore this world famous place. Banff is in the Province of Alberta [Plains Provinces]. I couldn't afford a glass or water, let alone a meal and staying there was just out of the question. At the current rate you can get a three night package deal for one starting at $175.00 per night. I was thankful that there were some Youth Hostels available. [Currently $21.00 to $49.00] A lot less cost for sure. Though communal, the one that I stayed at was clean and safe. I was just there for three days. I vowed I would go back but haven't made it yet.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTWtcBVdCbqcfflRnMlUW23eEL0_vWJqCfDFWQEmGnDnLpJTTETCA.jpg

You can easily see why I couldn't afford it. Of course there are other facilities - but this is the facility.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRN_c3aejThZgMr7j5rudAtcJF7KpHWEKJWD1GSeYnMQnlgHy5vKA.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRMMaHpqTrGPh8n_BE4p-_FLf92-9hR9vHySb0IGceCd0MPsGEAg.jpg Lake Louise

1825_1.jpg upload_2015-1-1_9-51-43.jpeg

Youth Hostel part of an international set-up.

10. Northern Dancer

Algonquin outfitters - yep I've been there.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQvGypkhZSvlziwNnOUtFziG-57kT-9PD0JyZ_lBrCQTxk-IZzL.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTXV5E50Zv74UezMJGZZ6PS0blsZwfxe-EOD3kmOyTnmDVor4efkA.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTmSnpaWR8R7EvmN5HRsdZ634xuqCx9C3tjRxIl3odfArXJXIUi.jpg

Algonquin Outfitters have more than one outlet but they are in the park. You really wouldn't want to purchase anything there - you can get it a home. If my memory serves me right it just about $2.50 for a can of coke. Clothing and equipment is at the higher end of the scale.

Shop and compare, buy on sale. :)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2015
  11. Northern Dancer

If we have youth reading this thread you can get more information by contacting your National Youth Hostel Organization or the country you plan to visit. Apparently the word youth is not quite true today but the most common age of people using the system tends to be from 18 to 30. [Sometime it is posted.] I think it is a good deal and I feel confident in recommending the same. My experience was excellent.

Hostel International - Canada
    Hostel International - United States

upload_2015-1-1_10-25-25.jpeg

12. 2sweed

Another good place to get some gear is called Cheaper Than Dirt. They have a website as well as a catalog. I have ordered from them in the past and was satisfied with what I bought. Sounds like Banff, is a place for the rich and famous. Give me a tent any day compared to that big resort. I would feel very out of place and be wishing to escape into the quiet of the forest. :eek::eek::(:happy:

Draft saved Draft deleted