1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

One Scary Alligator

Discussion in 'Nature' started by 2sweed, May 28, 2015.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Said to be a natural event in Florida, this alligator has a bit of trouble eating. It seems he lost his snout while fighting with another alligator. Now I spent 25 or so years in south Florida, and never saw the likes of this. Has anyone of you ever hear tell of this happening?
    The alligator can not eat because he can not clamp down on food any longer. Some folks want to start feeding him but the Game Commission says this is just natural nature at work.

BBklIfa.img?h=360&w=640&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f.jpg

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I remember driving through Florida and seeing signs for alligator crossings or to watch out for them like we have for ducks and moose

How has he been eating up until now? I mean he is alive still so he must be getting nourished somehow...

3. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Alligators are not quite like other creatures, they don't ever look unfed, but I bet he feels like a person with no teeth looking with total envy at a thick juicy steak. Smells great but no chomping power. From the news article folks were feeling sorry for him but the Game Commission said nothing could be done expect put him out of his misery. :eek::(

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Yeah I guess now that I think about it I have never really seen an alligator which looks very fat or very skinny... Their skin sort of keep it all together.

5. happyflowerlady

happyflowerlady Survivalist

Well, it is not like alligators are in short supply and he needs to be saved for posterity. If the game department is not going to do anything to help him; then the kindest thing would certainly be for them to put him down if he is only going to lay out there and starve to death. Sure, that might be nature; but that does not mean that it is not still a cruel way of dealiing with the situation, when one bullet in his brain would stop him from suffering.
    Even if they started feeding him; he might still not get enough to eat, or a healthy variety of food; so if he can't eat on his own; then I think they should just put him down humanely. They would kill a deer if they found it suffering along the highway because it had been accidentally hit by a car; so this should be no different.

Draft saved Draft deleted