1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Oops - Raccoon eating our food!

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by lorr, Jun 23, 2014.

1. lorr

lorr Newbie

I made a peach cobbler in a dutch oven after supper one night. After we ate it I layed it up on the picnic table. In the middle of the night my husband heard a noise so went to investigate. A raccoon got into a bag of chips & ate the cobbler. I forgot about it & it didn't even have the lid on it. PUT YOUR FOOD AWAY.

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Definitely an important tip. You guys are lucky that you didn't attract any animals more troublesome than a racoon!

I always put my food in a pack and hang it from a tree using a rope to avoid animals getting at it. Nobody wants to have to deal with a porcupine, skunk or even a bear. So you should always clean up after yourself before hitting the hay.

3. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

Any animal is dangerous when threatened, a raccoon can cause serious injury (not to mention rabies).

Putting food away is #1

4. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

That is true, however I've found that racoons are generally fairly timid and will go scampering away if you approach them while some other animals can be a lot more bold.

Draft saved Draft deleted