1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

...Organized for Cold [Winter] Camping

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by Northern Dancer, Oct 25, 2019.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

upload_2019-10-25_22-22-25.jpeg

Nothin to do this evening - so I mused myself with getting ready for winter camp.

The first thing that I did was to make an inventory of the equipment I need.

SHELTER
    Tent

Heating System - Buddy Heater or Wood Stove.
    Booties to wear in the tent.
    SLEEPING SYSTEM
    Winter Sleeping bag with insert.

Skiers balaclava that covers the whole head.
    Hot water bottle if needed.
    Night Time Container - I don't want to get out of my warm sleeping bag.
    Clean T-shirt with Flannel pajama bottoms for sleeping.
    Sleeping bag socks.
    Cot, Mattress & Cover, and Pillow with winter pillowcase.
    CLOTHING
    Canada Snow Goose Winter Coat.

Trappers winter hat with a face mask.
    Proper gloves attached to my coat.
    Snow gaiters.
    And the etceteras.
    OTHER
    May need to use sled to get to my destination.

Headlight with extra batteries.
    And the camera.
    FOOD AND OTHER STUFF AS NEEDED
    upload_2019-10-25_22-13-21.jpeg

The faceguard can also be attached inside by placing the straps over the ears.

killeroy154 likes this.
  2. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Great list! Cold weather camping does require thought and a larger load. I would love to camp in a snowy area one of these days. We don't see much snow down here in Tennessee anymore, but it does get cold.

3. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

-------->
    I always enjoy your comments and appreciate your interest.

I was out this weekend instructing leadership skills to Scouting Leaders. My colleagues elected to stay in the cabin but I was already packed and stayed with it and camped outside and away from the building. All I heard the next morning was the howl of complaints about the lack of facilities and how cool it was in the evening. All I heard was an owl and coyotes howling in the night.

"How did you sleep, Dancer?"

Well, what was I supposed to say? "Fine", I said, in a nonchalant manner. One of the other guys grinned knowing full well what I was up to.

So what did he know? He knew I was completely equipped for cold weather - I had lights, a washstand, and stove for hot water to wash and shave in the morning, I had a heating device that allowed me to read my book without a coat on, there was a rug on the floor and I wore my booties. Since there were no inside toilets I had a mini porty potty that was more than adequate tucked away under the washstand.

Oh, we had an inch of snow Sunday morning - the first snowball fight of the season. Yahoo!

I'll be out in a couple of weeks - but I'll be using my winter Alaknak with wood stove.

Draft saved Draft deleted