1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Packing Light

Discussion in 'Other Camping' started by gracer, Aug 12, 2016.

1. gracer

gracer Explorer

Hello everyone! :)

Whenever my family and would go camping, I am usually in charge of all the packing and stuff. I pack for 3 people and I usually try to anticipate what kind and how many numbers of clothing we would need for every activity we plan on doing. I only pack what are needed and add 2 extra clothing for each person just in case we would be needing some extra clothes for non-anticipated activities.

When it comes to food, I also think and anticipate on what we would eat for each meal and how many days we would be staying out. I try as much as possible not to bring too much canned goods because they tend to become heavy when there's too many. I prefer ready to eat food in pouches rather than canned goods.

I'm sure there are more of you here who are far better at packing than me. I would also love to learn about your packing techniques and routine. :)

2. missyify

missyify Survivalist

You won't learn anything from me lol. This is something I'm still working on, too.

For food it's necessary for us to take meat and vegetables. Not many packet options available for us except dried fruit.

Clothes, we can get away with getting our entire family of five into 1 suitcase, but I'm also working on this. I've seen people roll up outfits to take up less space. I would like to downsize our suitcase.

As far as gear, I've been finding more compact options like my rocket stove. It folds up and fits into a small carrying case with room for my magnesium fire starter. All of it fits in my purse. I'll probably sell some of our bigger, bulkier gear to get more compact equipment.

I make mental notes of what we don't use or something that is taking up too much space and what can be done about it.

Sent from my LGLS996 using Tapatalk

gracer likes this.
  3. missyify

missyify Survivalist

Come to think of it, I saw a suitcase system with separate compartments that could be useful. One of the issues I have is everyone's stuff gets mixed up and "lost" in the suitcase.

gracer likes this.
  4. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

If I'm in base camp I don't get terribly excited about what I bring as long as the van can take it all and there is a place for the dog. I'm a great one for lists.

BUT when I'm canoe camping the situation is entirely different. I have a pack barrel that takes everything that I need other than the tent and sleeping pad. I have one smaller food pack barrel that takes all the food, stove, cooking utensils etc.

For clothing it is wash one wear one.

When in groups we co-ordinate the equipment list so there is only one item. There is nothing more ridiculous than having six guys bring six hatchets and six saws.

We have done bare bone trips where we have tried to take as little as possible. I do prefer our mid way attitude - I'm in it for the fun and enjoyment of the experience.

We have such fabulous kinds of equipment today that is both light and durable and makes camping so much more fun and interesting as compared to the ol' days.

I like your style gracer - in our neck of the woods there are frequent bans on glass and cans. And you are right - all that stuff becomes heavy.

gracer likes this.
  5. missyify

missyify Survivalist

I tried to wash some clothes this last trip and the humidity was so bad, even my bamboo and other athletic clothes didn't dry lol.

6. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

When I go to our cabin in the woods I plan to take a little and end up with more clothes than I need. Never knowing if the weather is going to be hot or cold and damp, so I go prepared, with a bit of both worlds. Recently, I decided when going to visit friends I would only take a change of clothes, a sweater and rain jacket, the shoes I was wearing and slippers. They were trying to think of an activity we both would enjoy and thought a short hike might be nice until looking at my feet and saying "Is that the only shoes you brought? ", boy was I disappointed I had left my hiking shoes at home.

Everyone needs to decide how many clothes are needed. With children it is harder as your dealing with love to play in water or dirt. Thus the need to have enough to keep them reasonably clean while waiting for washed or wet ones to dry. If it damp and rainy the dry time might be a couple of days or more. As much as we think we are ahead of the odds of needing something it never fails to discover the very thing you need is sitting at home. :banghead::rolleyes:

gracer and Northern Dancer like this.
  7. gracer

gracer Explorer

@missyify I also learned that rolling up clothes can save up a lot of space when packing. This gives more room for other stuff such as toiletries and other gadgets needed for the outdoors. Ever since I learned about it from a video I've watched, it has also been my technique in packing up clothes. :)

@Northern Dancer Thank you so much for the compliment. :) When we go camping in groups, we also coordinate ahead of time with our other camping buddies to talk about what each family or group would bring to minimize the amount of load we would be carrying to the campsite. One family could bring a stove, another could bring the pots, others could bring cutting materials. We also sometimes talk about what kind of food each group should bring then we all share and eat together in the camp site.

@2sweed I totally agree with what you said about children when it comes to deciding on how much clothes to bring. In my case, my little boy has the most number of clothes packed compared to me and my husband. It is easier for children to get themselves and their clothes dirty when they are already out there so as a mom, I always anticipate this from happening that's why I bring more clothes for my son when we go camping. :)

missyify likes this.
  8. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

...when I'm tripping I use the military method of packing cloths to maximize the space available.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRMWTHcHaFqr23wUDBquHXbqW3lITqMhNrmjDUE2OYgdlkxuPcQ.png

gracer likes this.
  9. missyify

missyify Survivalist

Hah my husband was in the Navy 20 years, what's his excuse? Actually, that reminds me to talk to my grandpa... He was in the Army for 27 years and a Vietnam Veteran... He knows how to pack lol.

gracer and killeroy154 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted