1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Packing Light

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by campforums, May 20, 2014.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I can...but I've never really been totally successful in managing this. We have an expression that we use when we do these kinds of trips. We all it Bear................. Camping. For us - if it does not fit into the pack - then it doesn't fit - and it doesn't go. We use the principle - wear one wash one. There have been many times that my pack weighed more than my canoe. :(

3. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Might depend on the area in which your planning your backpacking trip. If it is sunny beaches or desert, where heavy-duty equipment or extras are not needed or would be hard to carry, it would be easier to get by with less drather than more. I like base camps that provide the necessities you don't want to drag along on the backpacking trip, but also are not back home where if you need them,.... oh well too bad. :eek::(:(

4. whnuien

whnuien Newbie

I try to pack only things I really need when I go for a few days of hiking but I always end up having troubles with foods. I tend to pack any food I like whether it's heavy or not :D

5. campforums

What about a watermelon?

6. whnuien

whnuien Newbie

Hahahaha no way, watermelon? never. Because seriously, watermelon is bigger than I am :D

I've tried taking the smallest papaya I could find but I ended up eating it an hour later.

7. Northern Dancer

I do that too - nothing like coming back to a bit of luxury at the end of a trip.

8. Northern Dancer

I take those dried fruits and papaya would be part of the package [along with the various trail mixes].

9. campforums

Somehow I don't think watermelon is one of those fruits that would be very good dried...

10. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

I like it as is cold and juicy, and refreshing on a hot summer day. Lugging it along on a backpacking trip would be rugged, but at a local camp site it would fit in like one of the crowd.

watermelon.jpg

11. Northern Dancer

True...and we can have those awful watermelon eating contests that are just as ridiculous as the corn roast toss. But I actually...okay...I like them - they can be a lot of fun. :)

12. campforums

Have you ever participated in one? :woot: :p

13. Northern Dancer

Well...the watermelon contest was a one time must. After that experience I retired to the cheering section. :)

Now the corn roast toss - that's a whole different story. Ever taken part in one?

This is an old Y Camp Leaders thing. It goes like this... :shifty: You have a garbage can in the middle of four tables. You enjoy your scrumptious corn on the cob laden down with real butter and wholesome [?] salt. Then...when you have consumed the last morsel you test your basketball...err...cob skills by tossing it into the can. If you are successful the group cheers your efforts and you can start on another cob.

BUT IF YOU MISS THE CAN. o_O You move quickly to pick it up BECAUSE if I have finished my cob I don't aim for the can I aim for you. When that happens the guy has to pick up his own and yours as well. I'm goona tell yah - when you get winged by a flying cob - it can hurt. Ouch!

:troll: THIS ACTIVITY NOT RECOMMENDED FOR CHILDREN [possibly adults too].

6xufqq.jpg

14. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

I am dying of laughter, what if you're so skilled that you hit the guy in the face and it bounces off into the can? Do you automatically win?

15. Northern Dancer

Actually, I preferred that the candidate to be bending over at the time. :cool:

16. BMWPOWER

BMWPOWER Moderator Staff Member

A hole in one?

17. Northern Dancer

FUN...NY! :)

18. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

So many jokes that could potentially get me banhammared... so little time. But no I'm going to be good and not go for the jokes that are just sitting there. Why must people tempt me?

19. Northern Dancer

Because you are creative, imaginative, fun loving and like a challenge? :)

20. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Aw you're sweet - giving me far too much credit, but very sweet. Seriously tho - you are giving me entirely too much credit. And I thank you for that.

Draft saved Draft deleted