1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Packing Light

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by campforums, May 20, 2014.

1. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

You are welcome!

2. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

I would have to believe that this guy was absolutely nuts for carrying just a small load for a 5 day hike. I would not have carried lightly on that trip. Trying to survive for that long with no food would have killed me LOL. I don't think the people in my family would survive that either.

3. Northern Dancer

It's all to do with experience and the kind of equipment and provisions you have. When I'm serious about tripping I would take MRE meals. A full meal that also comes with it's own heating device that can be easily disposed of. The package contains a main entree, as well as bread, dessert, coffee, cold drink and some other foods, right down to creamers, sugar, spoon and napkin etc. This would comprise the main meal with supportive foods like - dry soups, home made recipes, cereals, bars and other energy sources.

You really don't have to do any of this to have a fabulous and splendid time in the great outdoors and you certainly don't need to go to all that expense. It's all about planning and camping style.

Camping style dictates your choices and the things that you want to do. For me - it's just enjoying nature and being away from the noise and clamour of the city and being with true friends in whatever environment we choose.

4. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

What kind of dry soups do you recommend people carrying? If there is a main entree what would be the best entree to have if you do not want soups?

5. Northern Dancer

Good question. The reality is there are so many camping products in the market place that it really becomes an issued of cost and taste. When I started out I went to a well known outdoor store and simply took a few packages of dry food etc. and tried them to see. Remember, there are a lot of products in the grocery store that you can try that tend to be a lot less expensive than the outdoor store.

Sometimes you can luck out at a surplus store. In the meantime look up Mountain House, AlpineAire, and Backpacker's Pantry. You can also use dried fruit, jerky of various kinds, oats, cereals just to name a few.

6. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

Do these stores have a website that I can buy soups from? I can only think of buying some bags of dried noodles and cooking them into a pot. Cans of Campells Chicken Noodle soup should be easy for camping for packing light right?

7. Northern Dancer

Of course. When I'm in the interior I'm looking for something that can eliminate extra weight. ALSO - Algonquin Park and many others prohibit cans and bottles in the interior. The fines are heavy and they don't give you a second warming.

If you check your local grocer there should be some soups and other items on the shelf that you can use. Your idea about buying bags of dried noodles is excellent too - lots of calories for a hungry man.

All the companies have websites - just type in MOUNTAIN HOUSE, for example, and you shouldn't have any trouble finding the same. Cabela's, the outdoor store, is a good site and they should have some products listed as well.

Nice to see you on line.

8. Profit5500

Profit5500 Explorer

Don't worry I have a good grocery outlet nearby. The soups selection is quite decent and does not falter. I just have to check prices in the nearby stores to see what is going on. Thanks for the info again Northern Dancer.

9. Northern Dancer

You are welcome. Looking forward to hearing about your first camping trip? Anyway, If I can help you plan from this end I'd be happy to do that.:) We have had a cold and wet summer but these last days temperatures have shot up - makes me want to get up north as we say, to camping country.

I just got back from Camp Wendake and in two weeks time I'm out with the beavers, cubs, scouts and venturers scouting group from our parish for their annual weekend. The theme this year is native and I'm working on some props at this minute to get ready for the same.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2014
Draft saved Draft deleted