1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Packing perishable items on longer trips

Discussion in 'Food' started by campforums, Jan 1, 2013.

1. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I was wondering what kind of food most people bring along on longer outings? Most items that I eat when I'm at home don't last long unless they are refrigerated.

Things like meat, cheese, eggs and butter. Usually I pack along a few ice packs and eat those items first but this doesn't really work well past the first day or so. Any tips besides eating like a bird for the rest of the trip?

2. TABL

TABL Explorer

We keep things like that either in plastic ziploc bags, or plastic containers. We put them in the bottom of the cooler and cover them with ice and try to get the kids to not keep opening and closing the coolers, ha ha ha.
    We don't usually go for more than a weekend, so I can't really be much help after that.

3. R. Zimm

R. Zimm Newbie

We get normal sized bottled water and freeze a bunch beforehand. You have to unscrew the cap, pour out about an inch or two of water then put the cap back on but loosely. That way as the water expands during freezing the bottle does not burst. When all are frozen you screw to cap on tight.

Now you have long lasting lice cubes that can be arranged in a cooler any way you want and when they thaw you still have bottled water you can drink. Yes, we also put the other food in zipper bags so it does not leak or get wet. If you want it to last even longer, put a thick blanket over the cooler for additional insulation.

4. TABL

TABL Explorer

That's a great tip!! And you can use those water bottles to drink when you're ready.

5. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

Thanks dude, you're full of useful tips. How long does that stay cool with the extra blanket for insulation? Does it last until the next day?

6. Esperahol

Esperahol Newbie

Well, I don't really bring along perishables. I tend to carry jerky, fruit, pouches of dehydrated contents for making soups or stews or hot cereals. I make up the difference with what I can catch, trap, shoot or gather. I do miss eggs and milk though. And leaven bread.

7. Why did I never think about freezing water bottles and using them as ice? That tip will be a huge life saver next time I go camping. Regular ice doesn't keep the cooler cold enough for very long, and it constantly needs replaced. I also hadn't thought much about keeping the cooler out of the sun and covering it up, so I appreciate that advice. It is such a shame when food spoils or when you can't eat real food for days because of food storage issues.

8. Faust

Faust Explorer

I don't have the freezer space to make my own ice so I have to buy ice. If you do have to buy ice try to find ice blocks, they keep frozen significantly longer than cubes. Also cubes melt faster when sitting in water. I also like ice packs but I find the blocks of ice keep far better than those too.

The blanket trick is great if you don't have a white cooler (marine coolers are white). Not sure why all coolers are not white, a dark coloured cooler seems like an oxymoron..

9. bigteeth96

bigteeth96 Newbie

Milk.

Just kidding.

I bring meat, but I eat that on the first or second day.
    I bring some fruit and a bag of salad too because I have to have my daily servings.

Draft saved Draft deleted