1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Paddle abuse

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by killeroy154, Jun 11, 2016.

1. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Since my last river running camping trip, and due to lack of vacation time, I have to take a break. So I am trying to repair the abuse I put on my wooden canoe paddle. e9dc53b2d199ddef50b0e345770ce7ad.jpg

I haven't seen much posted lately, so I can only assume most are camping. Enjoy and don't forget pictures.

Sincerely Roy

2. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

Paddles - the spirit of the man that uses one. I understand when a brave dies the paddle that he uses is smashed.

I have two top notch paddles - yes they have my logo on them and they are decorated just a bit. I have some others too but I tend to stay with my main two. To protect them extra coatings are painted on and I tend to use the butt to push off from the shore rather than the blade.

My first mini trip is next week - yep...I'll be taking pictures.

killeroy154 likes this.
  3. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Finally the weather is cooling, and I have repaired my paddle complete with several coats of good urethane and my totem. 9e6503062d2126d70ed8fa08562d2809.jpg .

4. Northern Dancer

...fabulous! I really like that - creative. :)

5. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Thank you. I feel bad that I haven't had my canoe out since I hung it up after my last trip with my nephew last may. Every time this summer I went out I took dad and he realy doesn't like a canoe. I had him in one maybe 8 years ago, he was in his mid 70's then, so when he goes I take the bass boat.

Oh well. A few cobb webs and a little dust don't hurt anything.

6. Northern Dancer

Bill Mason, one of our nations canoe legends was asked, "What do you like about old age?" "Nothing!", he said. I thought it a dumb question at the time. My canoe is up on the rack too - I stare at it some days - and hope for the best. I'm planning for next year already. I'm heading out in new directions so I can say I did. Somehow no matter where you go trees are trees, water is water, and the sun and moon stay the same. :)

IMG_0707.jpg I'd love to be back on the island.

IMG_0679.jpg Of course...my paddle - with the bear.

7. killeroy154

killeroy154 Survivalist

Ooh nice paddle. I like the bear. I guess if my totem was a bear it would be Winnie the pooh with his round belly and jar of honey. f191a438d08e2ebc54384aea37b23563.jpg

Northern Dancer likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted