1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Parker Dam State Park, PA

Discussion in 'United States' started by 2sweed, Apr 14, 2014.

1. 2sweed

2sweed Natural Camper Staff Member

Whether your into camping or backpacking, Parker Dam has lots of activities for the whole family. There are fishing areas and a great big area to swim with a sandy beach as well. Come for picnics and camping. If your into hiking the trails then Parker Dam state park is loaded with interesting marked trails.

Beaver Dam Trail
    This trail covers 2.3 miles of an area that has beaver colonies and old logging and tram roads. Lots of beaver cuttings and ponds, and dams are seen during the 2 hour hike.

Quehanna Trail
    This loop trail takes 2-7 days to hike depending on your route. It provides passage from the park to the next trail, that passes through the Quehanna Wilderness Area, named the Susquehannock Trail.

The Spurline Trail

This trail follows an old railroad spur that was used from 1910-1913. This trail is 3.5 miles and takes about 3 1/2 hours to complete.

Souder's Trail
    This trail is a self-guided hike that takes about 1 hour to complete.

Trail of the New Giants
    This trail suffered damage on May 31, 1985, when many of the forest trees were downed in five minutes. The area know as the Windstorm Natural Area, consists of 250 acres and this trail cuts through the middle of the blown down area, so that visitors can see the forest regeneration. Takes about an hour to cover the one mile trail.

The 1.6 Snow Trail
    This trail is an old logging road that can be walked in about 1.5 hours.

Abbot Hollow Trail
    This trail takes visitors to another tornado area that was logged in 1986. There are different trail variations of 3-6 miles and can take from 3 to 5 hours to complete.

Skunk Trail
    This trail is surrounded by upland hardwood trees and is 1.4 miles long. It connects with the Souder's Trail and Mud Run Road, and takes 1 hour to complete.

Logslide Trail
    Along this trail sets an authentic lifesized reproduction of the logslide used by William Parker, during the 1880's and 1890's, and sets on the original site. A logging tool is also displayed at the trailhead.

Stumpfield Trail
    This trail begins at the amphitheatre and crosses a meadow, that was once a forest. In recent years aspen and oak, and maple trees line the trail. This trail is 1.2 miles long and is connected by a pipeline that lets you walk in on this trail and return by the Logslide Trail.

Laurel Run Trail
    This trail has been used by fishermen and log skidders over the years. The 1 mile hike takes about 1 hour to reach Tyler road.

These trails are maintained by the Moshannon State Forest. Parker Dam is located of Exit 18, of I-80, 17 miles north of Clearfield and 5 miles south of Penfield on Route 153.

If you have ever visited this area please share your experiences and stories here. Would love to have you join in.

2. 2sweed

Also in this same area is the S.B. Elliott State Park. Trails wind through the heart of the Moshannon State Forest, with different trail lengths and terrains.

Old Horse Trail
    This trail is 2 1/2 miles long and takes about 2 hours to complete. The path goes by lots of Mountain Laurel and near an old CCC springhouse foundation. The surrounding forest is a mixture of white pine and hemlock trees.

Old Sinnemahoning Road
    This trail was once an original route between Clearfield and Sinnemahoning. It is about 1 mile long and goes through areas once logged and burnt out long ago. It takes about 45 minutes to hike.

Rattlesnake Trail
    This trail is about 2 miles long and goes down a gas well road and across forest and meadows, and along deer trails. There are many small steams and wet areas where there is a variety of different habitats and lots of wildlife, with the possibility of coming across Timber rattlesnakes. Takes about 2 1/2 hours to complete.

Lick Run Trail
    This trail runs parall along Lick Run Stream. The waterway changes from mere trickles to pools of water and on to rugged falls. The path is two miles long and takes 3 hours to complete.

Doctor's Fork Trail
    This trail is about 1 mile long but it takes you to the intersection of the North and South Fork Trails.

North Fork Trail
    This is a nice 1 mile long hike that follows a laurel covered ridge line and a steam that takes about 45 minutes to complete.

South Fork Trail
    This trail goes for about 3/4 of a mile through rugged burned out areas.

Central Pa. Lumber Co. Trail
    This trail goes for 7 miles through oak and pine forests, as well as, some swamp land. This hiking path will lead you to the Logslide Display.

S.B. Elliott State Park is located off Route 153, just north of Exit 18, of I-80 in Penfield.

3. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

I know you are from Pennsylvania, but have you really visited all of these parks? :eek:

4. 2sweed

Yes, we often have gone to Parker Dam for many family reunions and have walked a few but not all of the above trails. And when I was much younger, friends and I had camped in other areas around Penfield, in the Parks. I thought others might enjoy knowing about all the trails in that area, should they go camping in the area.

5. Tim31556

Tim31556 Novice Camper

My camp is only 4 miles from Chappaqua state park. On down the road is the kinda dam
    I'd love to get people interested in camping.
    Contact me if you're interested.
    Tim

campforums likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted