1. Join the Camping Babble forums today and become an active member of our growing community. Once registered you'll be able to exchange camping photos, stories and experience with other members. If you're still undecided, feel free to take a look around and see what we're all about!

Pheasant

Discussion in 'Food' started by JoshPosh, Nov 6, 2014.

1. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

Alright, so these bad boys are plentiful on my island. They tend to come out right about dawn when the mice come out to play. Pheasants are all over the place snatching up mice as they see them.

Hunting these guys are seasonal and a shotgun is used for hunting. They do have a gamey flavor to them, and the aroma of the meat is different from most birds that I have eaten.

Pheasant.jpg

2. campforums

campforums Founder Staff Member

It looks so majestic and colorful, it is hard to imagine that they are so plentiful on your island. Living in a city, I don't see too many wild birds other than pigeons and sea gulls along with the occasional blue jay or robin.

I guess this is the standard question that everyone asks in regards to any new meat but how does it compare to chicken? :D

3. JoshPosh

JoshPosh Pathfinder

The chicken you and I eat are all GMO tainted meat. They are fed on corn feed, antibiotics, steroids. They do that so the chicken grows 2 to 3 times bigger in half the time compared to regular free range chicken.

The pheasant is free range and the meat reflects its diet. It's hard to write into words what my taste buds feel.

4. Northern Dancer

Northern Dancer Survivalist

I have one of these on top of my book case looking down at me right now. Everyone who sees it hates it and thinks that I'm some kind of weirdo for keeping it around. But...I do. I have other things hanging on the wall here and there though all are made of plaster. A couple of bears, a wolf etc. NO...I'm not a hunter of any kind and guns [sorry 'bout that] are repulsive.

Draft saved Draft deleted